Hi everyone

Options
hcarling
hcarling Member Posts: 6
edited 9. Oct 2012, 18:29 in Say Hello Archive
good evening,

I am new here and wanted to say hello. I have been newly diagnosied with OA in my right hip and it looks like my left will be catching up with it soon.

I was wondering if I could get some advise from yourselves.

I have been told that I will need a hip replacement. There is nothing else they can do for my hip, it's just when I have it. They have also told me that I can have an injection which will help but only help with the symptoms not the condition.

I am 27, so it's quite early for me to have this trouble. Though I know its unusual I also know that there are other people suffering that are much younger.

Anyway, I just want to know what other peoples thoughts are really as I am unsure what to do.

Should I have the injection and stave off the inevitable or just take the plunge. At the moment I have asked for the injection, but should I just get the op done and out of the way.

Anybodys thoughts on the subject would be great. Just so you know, I'm not asking for a medical view. I just want to know if there is anyone out there that is or was in the same boat.

Thanks

Elf.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Elf. It's good to meet you.

Yours is a bit of an unusual situation on here as we're more used to people desperately wanting hips and knees and surgeons saying they must wait. With that in mind, I'd say if yours is actually offering one he must feel you need it, especially in view of your age. However, if you're not in too much pain, you may prefer to hang on awhile. Having one at your age will, I guess, almost certainly mean you'll need another later but I speak as one who's had 3 knees and 2 hips (Mine's RA) and every one a good one.

Steroid jabs are only a temporary solution (though, if they work well, you will have the delusion of feeling cured for a while :roll:) For me they tend to work for about 6-8 weeks. Others only get a few days worth of help from them. It's impossible to predict who they'll work well for but, if you're in a lot of pain, you've nothing to lose.

It's true that, with OA, there is only pain relief, physio and surgery. Physio will help keep the muscles strong and supportive and so lessen the pain. It sounds as if you're going to need surgery sooner or later though. Have you had a chat with your GP about it? It's tricky if you're not in a huge amount of pain. All my ops have been no-brainers.

You'll get more responses if you copy this thread to the Living With Arthritis forum. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright