Mice and a rotten shed floor

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 12. Oct 2012, 12:04 in Community Chit-chat archive
Poked my head out of the patio door to speak to hubby. Couldn't see him but couldn't fail to spot that all the contents of the shed were spread about on the patio. "are you having a clear out?" I called. He replied "well sort of, we've got mice and they've been at the bird food." He found a hole in the floor where they've been coming and going, but hubby put his feet through the floor in two places where it had gone rotten. He also found where they had been storing their winter stash of food - in his walking boots! :lol: When he came in for lunch he said "I'll have to replace the floor and I'll get some timber tomorrow as W----s have got a special offer on." But he hasn't gone to buy the timber, he's out green laning today on his trail bike. The bird food is now in a mouse proof container in the other shed and the shed with the rotten floor has never looked so tidy. The wheelie bin is full of rubbish and when I asked him "why was he keeping rubbish in the shed in the first place?" He gave the classic reply "well, it wasn't really rubbish but I thought it might come in handy but it hasn't." :roll: Are we all guilty of hoarding bits and bobs that might one day come in handy? And do they?

Janet x

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Mr LV has to be watched like a hawk for 'things that could be useful at some point in the future'. It's never very clear what they could be useful for since they are junk when placed in this category.

I hope you have rid yourselves of mice. I once did battle with them for quite some time after they took up residence in my cellar. They are persistent little things and can squeeze through the smallest of holes!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    This will make you laugh :lol: . Some years ago Mum was getting dressed and went to get a clean pair of knickers out of the dressing table drawer and a little furry mouse looked up at her. She screamed, shouted for Dad, he charged up the stairs with a broom! Poor little mouse.

Janet x
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Hi Janet

scary :shock: ickle micies in your shed :shock:

e030.gif

At least they were outside in the shed and not in your knickers drawer :?

Funny how 'men's mess' isn't mess, but is potentially usfelu and our stuff is just MESS :roll:

love

Toni xxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Mr SW takes everything to the garage, doesn't use it and later takes it to the tip. He usually chucks it the week before he finally finds a use for it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    You ain't a man till you've had a full grown rat run up your leg and hang off your collar like I had once, I was out rat shooting and was down a grain tunnel this big fat rat came running up out of auger tube as I was going up a ladder so had one hand on the rail the other holding my gun, it got to my face stopped then fell off!, talk about freaked out I was stuffed as it happend so fast he was at my face before I could do anything, the other time it happened to me I had a seriously fat rat jump on my hand as I grabbed the steel edge of a grain bin, it ran to my elbow and dropped off onto the floor and went down a hole, again it was faster than I could reacted, my cousin just stood there laughing.
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    I know the feeling, been there seen it and got the tee shirt.
    I wrote the following in 2007 when it all started.

The Shed

Today I decided to spring clean the shed,
    What made this idea come into my head?.
    It would take two weeks to get it right,
    I opened the door and then shut it tight.

My two weeks estimate was just a guess,
    It’ll take two months to shift that mess.
    No good can’t keep putting off the plan,
    I’ll open the door and take another scan.

I’ve changed my months, it will take four,
    I’ll just lock the door and think some more.
    I know it’s July the spring has gone away,
    I’ll know what I’ll do, I’ll leave it till May.

I had the mouse problem too, and had no option but to buy 6 traps, I sorted a few out but 5 years on the little blighters are still in there. I hate killing anything but they was eating everything they could get their teeth in.

The Mouse Trap

Oh! mouse, Oh! mouse you didn't have to die,
    You have made my heart ache now I must cry.
    I asked you once or twice to leave,
    But now I can only mourn and grieve.

You didn't want to cause me any harm,
    Only came inside to keep yourself warm.
    But hey little fellow you ate my bag,
    And now you have made me lose my rag.

You left me no option but to set a trap,
    Your little life I had to zap.
    Goodbye and God bless Mr Mouse ,
    I will see you one day in Gods house .

Arfa
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    You ain't a man till you've had a full grown rat run up your leg and hang off your collar like I had once, I was out rat shooting and was down a grain tunnel this big fat rat came running up out of auger tube as I was going up a ladder so had one hand on the rail the other holding my gun, it got to my face stopped then fell off!, talk about freaked out I was stuffed as it happend so fast he was at my face before I could do anything, the other time it happened to me I had a seriously fat rat jump on my hand as I grabbed the steel edge of a grain bin, it ran to my elbow and dropped off onto the floor and went down a hole, again it was faster than I could reacted, my cousin just stood there laughing.

Mell, I read this just before going to bed, so I'll be having nightmares about rats running up my legs all night now :shock: Ugh, can't think of anything worse :!:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • arfaitis
    Options
    This reminds me of the time our gas meter under the sink was moved outside, the worker left a hole about half an inch, and when the other half went to get some potatoes for tea, there was this rat gnawing away at a potato.
    My daughter thought it hilarious after the wife shrieked and sent me in to deal with it, then pushed her stereo in the door with this blaring out.
    UB40

Arfa
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Thank you all for chatting away. Love the poems Arfa and the shed schedule sounds about right :lol: .

Janet x
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Sorry Joan!, I use to do a lot of ratting a few years back and would go down tunnels or into stores I knew were loaded with them, some might say I was fearless most said I was daft, one barn was so full of them if you crept in with your red light filter on and the light turned down low you could see the floor moving with them I've even had them knock my feet sideways while I was trying to creep in on the buggers you never left your trouser legs outside your wellies that's for sure, that said I don't hate rats in fact I admire them, they are tough and adaptable critters and they are smart as hell, they will be here long after we've been and gone I'm sure of it.
  • arfaitis
    Options
    I like them too, when they are not in my property or garden, here is one I tamed by feeding him birdseed day after day, he even brought his family out to feed.
    srat6-1.jpg Ratty

Arfa