Some parents!

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 14. Oct 2012, 09:57 in Community Chit-chat archive
I was out walking my dog early this morning when I passed the local primary school. A boy of about 10 was standing outside the gates looking very lonely and miserable. It was only 8.15am, and the gates aren't opened until 8.45am, so he had 30 minutes longer to wait. I don't know how long he'd already been waiting there when I saw him.

I smiled at him and said,'' Are you the first one at school today?''
He replied,'' Yes I am every day because Mum and Dad have to go to work''.

The school is down quite a lonely lane, so not a safe place for a child to be left waiting alone. There are some public toilets very nearby too. What kind of parents would put their son in such a vulnerable position by making him wait alone every day like that :?:
I used to work when my children were young, but I paid someone to take them safely to school.

Some parents :!: :shock:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's so sad and in a month or two it will be dark that early in the morning. Poor little thing :cry: I guess some people just don't think through the implications or the potential impacts of their choices.
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,445
    Options
    Joan

Some people do seem to take risks with their kids don't they?

I can remember some parents letting their young girls walk to te**o here when they were 9 (I hadn't even let my eldest girls go yet and they were 12!), those kids are now 14.

One of them is now seriously off the rails :(

Having said that at least those parents are working :? I really hope the wee lad will be fine.

Love

Toni xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Joan
    They were stopped doing this at my GD school, I used to worry sick about the ones dropped off early.....its scary that they dont seem to worry..I know there are pressures on parents to work..but the children should come first.
    Love
    Barbara
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    you would think they would work out with other parents to take them at different days or you pick up and they drop off val
    val
  • joanlawson
    Options
    I rang the headteacher today and told her of my concerns. She said that she is aware of the situation and will have a word with the boy's parents to try to work out a solution. I'm glad that something will hopefully be done to help the boy as soon as possible. He looked so miserable standing there on his own. No child should have to wait for half an hour or more at the school gates every day, and I wonder why the head hasn't done anything before now.

Joan
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Well done Joan, you are right why has the head not done anything about it if she was aware of the situation, and as for the little boy's parents I really don't think they have tried hard enough to resolve this............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    As Villier said "well done Joan". No child should be left outside school for half an hour by himself, anything cold happen. I wonder what happens at the end of the school day? Does he have to wait outside then? I thought some parents were supposed to be over protective these days.

Janet x
  • joanlawson
    Options
    Update- When I walked by the school yesterday at the same time, the boy wasn't there, so hopefully my concerns have been taken on board by the head and the parents. Either that or the boy was off school for some reason, but I will wait and see whether he's there next week.
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    this why a lot of the schools run breakfast clubs to help out
    val
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    some people shouldn't have kids.. As has already been mentioned, it's staying darker each morning now so that poor kid would have been out in the dark on his own.. No cold should be out on their own in the dark... I really hope the head stuck a rocket up their :o :shock:
    The world is far from a safe place for kids, it's very sad to say but it's true...
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP