shrinking tins of chocolates

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 20. Oct 2012, 17:53 in Community Chit-chat archive
Oh dear me :roll:. Either my favourite tin of chocolates have drastically shrunk in size this year or my eyesight is failing. Ordered two tins (one is a gift in case you think I'm greedy) of the same make and my husband thought it was one tin as they were stacked on top of each other. He was quite shocked when I told him there were two tins. :lol:

My sister works at a supermarket and said many everyday products are now in smaller jars/bottles/tins or packets and the majority of consumers are unaware they are buying less for the same money.

Janet x

Comments

• mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    S#ds law,if we didn't like em they would stay the same size.mig
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Ah, disguised inflation, some manufacturers excel at this. Is the 'C' word involved? (C*db*ry) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    did anyone see the programme about quid land and the like? They're true experts at this game... It's gonna end up as standard practice I think.. Cheating swines :x
    I prefer my chocolate BIGGER lol
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • vwkamper
    vwkamper Member Posts: 132
    Options
    Nope your eyes are not going screwy,
    My hubby and i were shocked to see the size of tins and for a fiver!!!

lexy :o
    P.M.A Positive Mental Attitude.
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Yes DD the "C" word is involved.

I only buy a tin for Christmas so, on the good side, the fewer we have to eat the less weight we will put on. Ah, of course, that must be the thinking behind the manufacturers - they are looking after our weight! How kind of them.

Have a good day everyone.

Janet xx
  • RitaW
    RitaW Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Yes the tins have got smaller.My husband keeps all the old tins for use in the shed and you can really see the difference in sizes,but the price stays the same. :roll:
    R.A. FMS IBS RLS IGD with honours.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,444
    Options
    How very dare they :shock:

I may need to double the quantity purchased to survive the festvie season......

at least :wink:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Janet
    yes there was a program on about it, like Tony say it will be happening more and more, we used to get the tins when our sons were small....and it took them weeks to get to the bottom of them....well maybe a week.. :lol:
    Love
    Barbara
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    It's happening with lots of things, not just chocolates and biscuits. It's a crafty way of passing on price rises to the customer while trying to disguise it. The manufacturers must think we were all born yesterday if we don't notice what they're up to :roll:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I don't really mind as long as weight's clearly labelled and I actually prefer it if packaging has shrunk along with contents. What I object to is large, 1/2 full packets that aren't clearly labelled.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • nicetomeetu
    nicetomeetu Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Don't know about the tins, but I often say chocolate bars have shrunk since my childhood days or maybe I have simply grown bigger and they seem smaller. I think I will go with the former though.

:wink:
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    I don't really mind as long as weight's clearly labelled and I actually prefer it if packaging has shrunk along with contents. What I object to is large, 1/2 full packets that aren't clearly labelled.

Yes this is absolutely true, we are now getting the same packaging size wise but contents are diminishing.
    I suggest we boycott those products of the companies that do it, and please please complain to the shopkeeper or manager.
    Sometimes I wonder if it is the superstores that are ordering it like this.

Arfa