Hacker - probably not a popular opinion

Options
tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 17. Oct 2012, 17:45 in Community Chit-chat archive
I believe that the hacker gary mckinnon should be well on his way to the states now. He did the crime, should pay.. Simples..
His disability (should you want to class it as such, I know some folks that don't) is not an excuse for what he did, he did know right from wrong.

Human rights again :roll:

What's your opinion?
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I'm dithering about my answer. There is a radio phone-in this morning about a Moslem who has been extradited from the UK to America to face trial on terrorism charges (which is somewhat different to UFO hunting which is GM claim). He too is on the autistic spectrum but has been despatched which has led some to claim discrimination. There is not a black-and-white answer to this, it's far more shades of grey than that blasted book.

Asperger's is a strange one - those who have it are often of above average intelligence but what 'fails' them is their ability to understand that their actions may have consequences and they lack awareness of the rules of social interaction. (My cousin has it, brain the size of a planet but he struggles with everyday life). GM apparently caused a substantial amount of damage to the American's computer systems but they have not detailed what the damage was. He also left messages telling them how weak their defences were which was not going to go down well, was it? What I don't understand is why it has taken ten years to get to this point.

Why didn't you put a don't know option, tjt? That would have been my choice - ditherer extraoridnaire, that's me! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I said no. He can still face trial here.

Dream daisy gave a good description of the difficulties faced by people with aspergers.

I do not think he would have been well treated in the USA as have read some horror stories.

elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    I'm also a NO vote , not sure he'd be treated with any compassion in the US , seems a shame that with the intelligence and computer know how this guy possesses that he was unable to make use of it in a better way . Jillyb
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Unfortunately he did the crime and he has to pay .Knowing the Americans if he is that good they will give him a job .

Fowls
  • tjt6768
    Options
    DD, I dint even think about a don't know section hun. I'm a very black n white kinda bloke..
    He might not even face trial at all here yet. Now that ain't fair..
    I'd still ship him off.. That's just me though :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I've been thinking about this on and off all day and finally voted. OK,GM damaged computer equipment but surely their defences should have been stronger/better/impenetrable. They weren't, so in a funny kinda way he did them a favour. He was not threatening any one's life or launching a terror campaign, he was hunting for things that don't exist but then don't we all from time to time? The one extradited on terrorism charges is a different kettle of fish altogether.

This morning I found myself agreeing with Keith Vaz - which is something that will probably never be repeated - who said that each case should be assesssed on its merits. GM is guilty of criminal damage (but as to what and how much the Merkins won't say) but that's it. It's a shame that he could not put his computery talents to better use but employers fight shy of employing 'oddballs' like him (as my cousin knows only too well). DD
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Problem is with the yanks they act like spoilt brats if anyone upsets them they always want to win regardless, the guy has a mental illness for starters so they should have just got the police here to have a word in his shell like and left it at that, now they look totally stupid as everyone now knows a Larry loner with “learning difficulties” actually managed to hack they’re Governments computer systems not once but 93 flippin times!, maybe they should have put him on the pay role and got him to sort their security out because it’s obviously utter s***e.
    I also see Bubba Ahmed's supporters are kicking up a storm Saying it’s not fare he got deported and this chap didn’t, well the difference is Gary McKinnon has Asperger’s syndrome and is a numpty but Babba crime (who just happens to have a red necks Christian name) is a so called computer expert with a degree in IT who actually set up a Jihadist fund raising web site which had its server based in the USA and they still wonder why the US wanted to deport him!?. Where did he get his inspiration from the film four lions for Allah’s sake?.
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    I was feeling very sorry for his situation until I read the extent of his hacking and the fact that he had left messages which bore no relation to him "looking for UFOs". He may well have been doing that, of course, and he may have left the messages innocently although he also did it not long after 9/11. I read today that his diagnosis of Asperger's was not made until a few years after that.

I've taught a lot of people with Asperger's and each individual could cope with the world to different degrees. I don't think it's possible to make a ruling that covers everybody with Asperger's.
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Cor - Shula that is a cracking point, I hadn't thought of that. I think we're now in the realms of at least 300 shades of grey - that knocks Christian into a cocked hat, no? DD

PS Mel, I dislike disagreeing with you but having Aspergers is not a mental illness, it's more a mental condition and I think there's a difference between the two.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    some good points being made. I'm still of a mind that he knew what he was doing was wrong though. Otherwise why the taunts? I'll pack his case for him :D asburgers shouldn't be used as an excuse for not paying for committing a crime..
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Firstly I say No! and No! he shouldn't be tried.
    He has aspergers, and it could be a very good excuse for his behavior.
    I believe the Americans should be applauding him for showing how bad and insecure their security systems are.

Arfa