Re:Power to the people

Options
mellman01
mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
edited 23. Oct 2012, 06:44 in Community Chit-chat archive
well I see Dave the "geezer" has now promissed to make all the power companies tell you the cheapest tariffs, nice one Dave every little helps as they say, but what the Government doesn't tell you is that he's increased the cost of ash disposale for coal station by 600% a year ago, this is the problem the generation compaines get attacked for making a profits but were not told that the grid system is worn out and needs a major overhaul the cost of re-planting power stations to take up the slack that will be left when the coals stations start to close from March next year is in the £ billions as it is, and who has closed them down in the first place?, the government that's who way to go Dave! he's sooooo green, oddly the stations all have the right to run to 2015-2017 max but the government has said no they close next year regardless as they want to be seen as "green" what a guy Dave is talk about thinking outside the box he's definetly done that all right but sadly no one know's where the flippin box is?, word has it it's got Schrodinger’s cat sitting inside of it, a little quantum joke there!.
And seeming the coal stations contribute over 30% of power used here that's a big old gap that's going to appear come next march, right now the local coal station is running hell for leather 7 days a week and the gas stations they own are also generating but are making little or no profit as gas is costly right now, they are running them to keep the lights on and that's it, the crazy thing is it's their coal stations that are making a profit for them and not the gas but they will be gone by march 2013 and it will be followed by the nukes in 2017 so there goes another 26% up your shirt!.
It's going to be a tad iffy next winter is all I can say, my advice is fix your prices soon as that only leaves Gas to take up the slack so the cost of power will go up dramatically next atumun/winter that's so long as the Russian's don't turn the tap off at their end first!.

Sorry rant over!. :mrgreen:

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    That's why I'm busy planning a multifuel stove to keep me nice and warm! Can't afford my efficient gas central heating anymore!
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • mellman01
    Options
    Hi L V sounds like a plan!, we have a log burner with a back boiler that heats the hot water tank and I have around 3 tonnes of dry wood out back.
    Problem is the Tories fecked us all up by selling off the power industry without any real control over what comes after and like any dear old profit driven companie they've ragged the **** out of it to make megga bucks but now the pigeons are coming home to roost.
    The Government has put a lot of tarifs on power stations but have not mentioned it to anyone so they have put the blame back onto the generation companies and also expect them to step up to the mark when things start to get iffy when the Government forced shut downs start, as it stands if you were to build a new gas station you'd also need to run it for 15 years to make a profit from it as it is and they aern't built to last more than 20-25 tops but like any old vehicle the older they get the more they break down so it's not rocket science, I know people don't like the generation companies but the blame isn't all there's they have been turned over by the politicians who've been secretly milking them and us.
    Camerons latests outburts tells you all you need to know and that's that he's not got a clue what he's going on about.
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    They've done it all with a hefty dose of green washing too, justify it through environmental purposes but if you look not even that closely, it is just a green wash. It's tosh and there is no real environmental credential to the approach.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    at the end of all that, do we know if the cat is dead or not :shock: :o:lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • LignumVitae
    Options
    Which cat? Sore point in this house TOny...mine died at the start of the month :(
  • mellman01
    Options
    He's on about Schrodinger’s cat, don’t worry Tony it’s a quantum field theory thingy it’s existentialism really so no cats were hurt as they don’t really exist in the first place!.
    Hey I also see Cameron or "Geezer" Dave as I call him is serious about making power companies give us the cheapest rates so what about other industries that have confusing tarifs/contracts for example mobile phone networks?, how in hell is it going to work anyway?, they (his lot the Tories) flogged them off and now want them to be socially responsable first and make a profit last which will mean they will simple be unable to finance new greener power stations and to upgrade the countries distribution network I'd imagine some will sell up and move out of the UK power business, it's a business Thatcher asset stripped and then flogged off cheap to city investers so he's reaping what his lot sowed back in the 80's and 90's the man's a fool.
  • mellman01
    Options
    Yep sure will be, remeber the grid is worn out, you have coal stations coming off line as of March next year and then the nukes but none of the power companies will go the nuke route as the Government won't stand the cost of long term waste storage, I nearly went for a job at Horizon nuclear which was a company set up by RWE and EDF, they spent millions recruiting and setting it all up got the licences to build 3 units then shut it all down due to the Governemts lack of clarity.
    The way things are going I really wonder if the total lack of forward planning by the politicians is being done deliberatly, once the lights start to go out and prices keep going up we will agree to anything they say if it means more power generation so they get us to follow like sheep and the power compaines will probably get big handouts from them so they can afford to build at little cost to them but as always we get stiffed like we did with the banks.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,426
    Options
    Well

We live in a silly modern house....no multi-fuel burners here....

think l will have to start knitting

c015.gif

jumpers for all of us :roll:

Love

Toni xxx
  • mellman01
    Options
    Which cat? Sore point in this house TOny...mine died at the start of the month :(

I was on about Schrodinger’s cat it's not a real cat L V that's all, there's no need to go straight into attack mode on poor old Tony's bum because of it, I mean how was he to know your tiddles cloacked out last month he may be ARD as feck and Northern but he can't mind read, well not as far as I know?.
  • tjt6768
    Options
    tis ok mr mell..
    No need for fisty cuffs lol..
    I'm sure LV isn't angry with me.. :D
    I know how sad it is to lose a kitty...
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • mellman01
    Options
    If she knows how flippin ard you are she won't that's for sure mate, your the only person I know who can punch somone down a phone line like some kind of crazy Northern wylie coyote from a looney tunes cartoon!. :lol:
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    mellman01 wrote:
    If she knows how flippin ard you are she won't that's for sure mate, your the only person I know who can punch somone down a phone line like some kind of crazy Northern wylie coyote from a looney tunes cartoon!. :lol:
    Gosh Mell that is scary..is he really that hard :shock: :lol: must say i found your rant very interesting, I wondered why on earth we were told to get ready for blackouts... :roll:
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    Options
    barbara, I once beat up the mitchell brothers and ross kemp at the same time... In my slippers!
    :lol:
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP