Tackling the yobs!

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 19. Oct 2012, 05:40 in Community Chit-chat archive
Yesterday I saw a group of teenage boys of about 14/15 playing about in a small children's park where there is a big sign up saying it's for children 12 years and younger. They were jumping heavily on all the small children's rides and swings, kicking a football really hard against the railings and climbing frames, and behaving in a totally unacceptable way.

There was no-one else around except me, so I was tempted to ignore them and walk away, but then I felt angry that they might break or vandalise some of the equipment which my grandchildren enjoy when they come to stay. I shouted at them, and told them off for their bad behaviour, wondering all the time how they might react; but to my amazement, they left the area straight away, hanging their heads in shame as they passed me by :shock:

I'm glad that I didn't just walk away, although I know it was a risky thing to do with no other people around (just my elderly and rather soppy dog as witness!)

Maybe I haven't lost my teacher voice after all :!: :lol:

Joan
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Well done joan more of should stand up to yobs
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Well, I think you were very brave. I would probably have said something, but that's because I know most of the young lads around here, and their parents.
    I do think you have a point about your "teacher voice". The only discipline some youngsters get is at school.
    Numpty
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hello Joan
    Well done that took nerve and you must have said the right thing.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Well done joan

I am thankful they just walked away .

karen xx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    Well done, Joan! I confess, I probably wouldn't have dared but I'm sure that, if more people challenged this kind of behaviour, there'd be less of it. When it goes unchallenged we put out a silent acceptance of it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Gosh Joan you be careful, I know they say stand up to them..but you never know how they will react .
    Love
    Barbara
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Gosh Joan

they might have had a knife :shock:

You be careful please :?

Shame there isn't anywhere for teenagers to go - not many Mums are happy to have 12 teenagers in their houses like me are they :shock:

Love

Toni xxx
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I haven't seen the yobs around again, so hopefully I scared them off, at least for now.

Toni, the sad thing is that there are lots of places for teenagers to go in the village where I live. We have a brand-new leisure centre with all kinds of activities going on, as well as a lovely swimming pool. There's also a very good youth club, and a super playing field, so no excuses for yobbish behaviour.

Like you, I used to have dozens of teenagers in the house when my twins were younger. Sometimes I used to think that we had the whole sixth form here, but I didn't mind at all. The house went suddenly very quiet when they both left home for uni at the same time, and I missed all the teenagers.
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,425
    Options
    Joan I am already dreading mine going like you I have two the same age....next October it will be quiet :(

The youngest had better get ready to fill the house for me :wink:

Love

Toni xxx
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Well done Joan. More of our generation should have the courage to speak out loud when we see bad behaviour instead of passing by.

But it's not always the youngsters. A few weeks ago we were following a car and the driver threw a bag of rubbish out of his window. Luckily it didn't hit our windscreen!

Janet x