Hip Injection

Options
pennypooh38
pennypooh38 Member Posts: 6
edited 30. Oct 2012, 20:43 in Living with Arthritis archive
I had an injection into my hip socket yesterday and it was so painful, I cried in theatre and recovery. The nurse said they had gone in at a funny angle and it was bleeding a lot. Worse thing I was told it may not work and if it does maybe only for 3 months as they need to rule out options as it may be my back

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Penny and welcome to the forum
    I have had two lots of injections in my hips, like you to rule out the back, but I must say I am no nearer, the injection didnt do much for me.
    I have just had injections in my wrist and thumb and I cant believe how well these have worked,
    Its one of those things really , some get great relief from the hip ones, we are all so different.
    I do wish you well with them x
    Love
    Barbara
  • pennypooh38
    pennypooh38 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    thank you for your kind words x
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello Pennypooh38 and welcome from me too. I'm sorry your hip injection was so painful but I don't think either the pain, or the 'funny angle' will be responsible if the jab doesn't work. The fact is that sometimes these things do and sometimes they don't and, even if they do, it might only be for 3 months. They have to warn you about these things before doing them but it doesn't mean to say that yours is any less likely to work than anyone else's. I hope yours will work well.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • RitaW
    RitaW Member Posts: 83
    Options
    That sounds so painful.I do hope you get some benefit from the injection and it is not hurting too much now.x
    R.A. FMS IBS RLS IGD with honours.
  • teresagrove
    teresagrove Member Posts: 35
    Options
    I have had 4 of these in the last year and a half - and in my experience they last for anything up to 3 months.

They are quite painful but it's only a very quick procedure - spare a thought for me - I have it with no local anaesthetic as I'm allergic to it!

I hope it works for you - it didn't really do much for me - THR next Tuesday x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    My post could be a duplicate of Barbaras :roll:
    Trying to find out what is hip pain and what is back pain.
    The injections I had dont seem to have worked at all {that doesnt mean they wont work for you}
    We arre all different....except Barbara and I :lol: We seem to be the same.
    Keep your chin up. and good luck
    Love
    Hileena
  • Rewter
    Rewter Member Posts: 77
    Options
    I have spoken with a few people about the hip injections and they have all said that it can be very painfull. A few of these people did say that it did not work in any way other than the to give them innitial discomfort. Others have only had a very short term benefit. I have heard of people having it in their hands and its been a revelation!

I declined the option of an hip injection when offered as the Hip Consultant could not confirm if it would be sucessful and did say it may not sort my other problems ( back / knees )

When I spoke with the Rheumy consultant, he did mention it was a good thing to have declined the injection and he does these as a last resort due to ineffectiveness of the proceedure in numerous people.
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Hello

Much sympathy for you and your nasty experience with the injection. From what you say, it's a case of the injection being therapeutic and/or diagnostic, ie it could help with pain relief and your Dr will be able to tell what was causing the pain, or, it might not help, in which case the Dr knows what else is causing the pain. Hope this makes sense!

Shula
  • teresagrove
    teresagrove Member Posts: 35
    Options
    As I said previously, I have had several of these injections - all providing some relief and for varying lengths of time.

After my last hip injection, the consultant asked me what percentage improvement in my back pain I'd had since the procedure 4 weeks before. When I told him 60% he then was able to estimate how much of the back pain was coming directly from my back and how much was referred pain from the hip.

I am concerned that people on here who complain about the pain involved with a fluoroscopically guided injection may put others off having one.

I have no anaesthetic at all with mine - and yes they are quite uncomfortable - but they only last a few minutes and do offer some relief - so if offered one - I would say definitely go for it. You will have a local anaesthetic first and it's not as bad as some people have said.
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I had this done as all my pain was in my back, it only lasted 48hrs but confirmed that the problem was mostly my hips.
    It was uncomfortable to have it done but not unbearable. I only wish it had lasted longer as the relief was imense, I felt human again & I felt so down when the pain returned.
    Please dont be put off , as it may work for longer for other people & would be so worth it if it did.