Looking forward to hydrotherapy

Options
tjt6768
tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
edited 23. Oct 2012, 11:05 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi folks. Had my first lot of physio for my neck this morning.. As ever they were keen to 'fix' my knee pain :roll: been there so many times lol.. Anyway, I was just about to ask about some hydro for the whole lotta joint pain when he said, I think you would benefit from some hydro :D
Had it many moons ago, it was lovely, while it lasted, but that was ok...
I was expecting a long long wait though... I go tuesday morning! :wink:
I'll dig the speedos out and get them ironed lol..

I've some exercises for the neck and shoulders and some for the knees..

Will do my best.. Haha

I've also got an appointment with the IT lady, I desperately need some new wrist straps, and the plastic moulded inserts as these two have snapped :shock:

Have any of you had the hydro treatment? If so, how was it? Did it only help whilst in the water like with me?
e050.gifMe-Tony
n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
k040.gif
Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP

Comments

• LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Tony

I had hydro last year and they did loads of work on my stability adn core and all that business. It made a real difference for me. Apparently, after lots of inflammation, your nerves lose their ability to locate things properly in the joints and the exercises I did helped them all find themselves again. I'm still reaping the benefits and it has stopped lots of the pain I was getting by over compensating with other joints and so tiring them out lots...water was lovely and warm too and the little sit down after was so gentle compared to the normal being kicked out on the street after your treatment. I hope it works for you, let us know how you go.

LV xx
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Sounds good, Tony. I've had it 2 or 3 times. It always helped at the time but it was only last time when I really kept up with the exercises afterwards that the good results lasted. I really hope it helps.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Tony
    Its does sound tempting all that warm water, I hope it brings some relief for you xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • RitaW
    RitaW Member Posts: 83
    Options
    Hi Tony,I have never tried Hydro but it sounds very relaxing.Hope it gives you some relief. :) x
    R.A. FMS IBS RLS IGD with honours.
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi Tony,
    I had hydro a couple of years ago. It was great at the time, but as with you, for me it didn't last.
    It's certainly very pleasant though. I hope you get better results this time round.
    Numpty
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    Hi Tony,Hope the hydrotherapy goes well and you get a lots of benefit from it.hugs to all (((()))) Mig
  • Loulou11
    Loulou11 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I had hydro and found it was great but exhausting, when I got out I slept solidly for 3 hours and in Arthur terms that was forever. Once my muscles were not so tight I carried it on by swimming twice a week to start and that also helped keep me mobile good luck and enjoy the relaxation you will get from it xxx
  • SteveBurns
    SteveBurns Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Hydro is brilliant, you can do much more in the water, if depth is up to the chest the water takes 70% of the body weight so very good for legs.

There are loads of exercises to do in water, some with and some without floats.

You don't know how hard you are working when in water that's why you are tired after.

Once you have finished the course try to get into a pool yourself and keep on going. It is difficult to motivate yourself to keep on going but the benefits are there.

The more you put in the more you will get out.

Enjoy
  • tjt6768
    Options
    thanks for the replies folks...
    I really am looking forward to it. They've oiled the hoist ready for me lol.. I'm more than sure that I'd struggle using the steps to the pool, from what I remember it's more of a ladder, not ideal.. The last time I just played tough guy and stoic using the ladder.. Lol
    Not this time though, I'm a lot worse these days and it's not like I can take the weight on my arms like I did back then.. They're knackered too lol

e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • stickywicket
    Options
    The hoist is a much better option. You feel a total wassock (Well, I did) but you're soon in and out. Good luck!
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    Options
    thanks hun.. That's the bit that I'm not looking forward to to be honest.. I'm gonna feel stupid..
    I'd much rather suffer the steps but won't... For now anyway lol

I wonder if it'll be just me, from the looks of the diary he wrote in, it looked empty.. Surely there must be folks desperate for this kind of treatment?
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • rugbygirl
    rugbygirl Member Posts: 691
    Options
    Hi Tony

Hope all goes well with the Hydro. I know when I had it it helped for a bit but that was a while ago. Unfortunately things are not good now but I am getting there.

Look after yourself
    Jakib0644.gif
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Tony

Hope all goes well for you and you gets lots of relief from the hydro, when you are in the hoist just close your eyes and think you are at the fun fair on the chairaplanes, keeping fingers crossed that you get lots of relief from it...............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • stickywicket
    Options
    tjt6768 wrote:
    I wonder if it'll be just me, from the looks of the diary he wrote in, it looked empty.. Surely there must be folks desperate for this kind of treatment?

Yes, but the pools are small. You certainly couldn't get more than two in at once to do it properly - well, not in the ones I've been in. Remember the physio'll be in with you and some equipment probably. It all takes up room.
    Steven Wright
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    hope it not bugie smuglers you are wearing pal hope it goes well and helps and stay away from steps you in to much pain at moment
    val
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Have the budgie smugglers at the ready Val lol.
    Appointment at two today..

I only woke up an hour ago :shock: utterly exhausted again. So hopefully a nice dip will wake me up..

Hope everyone is ok, I've still not been online much.

Best wishes to all
    :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • tjt6768
    Options
    Home now after the forst hydro session..
    Went well, only did a few gentle excersises, mainly on the knees... Water was lovely.. :D
    I used the steps as I wouldn't use the hoist :oops: :roll: Yeah yeah, I know... lol

I felt a few stones heavier on the way out :shock: :lol:

I am booked in next tuesday again.. That day is a very busy one.. Half eight in the morning I am there at Chapel Allerton to see the OT lady for some new wrist straps etc, then at half eleven I am the docs for the monthly blood test, THEN at half one I am back at Chapel for the hydro :shock:
    There were no appointments earlier in the morning... So.. If I am knackered now, I think I'll be a zombie that day...

Hope everyone is well today :D

I am sore and tired, need to rest plenty :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP