ESR

Options
janjankay58
janjankay58 Member Posts: 44
edited 20. Oct 2012, 10:09 in Living with Arthritis archive
Iwent to see nurse for blood results and she said i had to make a appointment with the doctor as my esr levels were 40 don,t know what this is can,t get into doctor untill next thursday can anyone tell me whay this is and how high it should be.

thanks jan

Comments

• merri
    merri Member Posts: 190
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    The ESR level is the level of inflammation in your body, whether caused by something like a virus or from something like arthritis. It can very from person to person, some peoples' ESR levels can be higher than others as weight can have an impact.
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    its an inflammatory marker. its fairly non specific. but if u had joint pain then it could mean arthritis, but it can also be due to other things anywhere in the body so it depends on your clinical situation.
    below 10ish is normal. yours is moderately high. Mine was 100ish when i had a flare up of IBD.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Jan

it's a sign of inflammation although I believe it can rise due to infection too.

I hope you get an appointment very soon so you don't worry too much :?

love

Toni xxx
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Jan

I had the same situation two weeks ago ESR levels high(80) I also had falling white blood cell count (2.5) Like yourself was a bit worried at first, so did a bit of research and spoke to people, this is what I found. The C-reactive protein, is a marker for inflammation. People with autoimmune(don't know what your Arthur is) issues can have high levels of this. But even dental work can raise it temporarily. Vit C helps lower it, and studies have shown that on PubMed, I have OA but also have neurological auotoimmune disease and had been to the dentist the week before, now making sure I take lots of vit C my last bloods have shown blood count normal and inflammation falling I am sure it is nothing to worry about let us know how you go..............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles