Osteoarthritis

Options
Sarah69
Sarah69 Member Posts: 20
edited 23. Oct 2012, 12:19 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am 43 years old and after 27 months in chronic pain, I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis of my left hip. I had a hip replacement in May. I would like to ask if it's already affected my hip, is it likely to happen in other joints? I have lost some movement in my left shoulder and it hurts when I move it, it's becoming very difficult to do my bra up. So is it a case of once you have you always have it?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am glad you have found us. I empathise with the OA (I have it in my knees and ankles) it's there as a result of joint damage caused by my other arthritis. One thing is certain, however, once you have any form of it it is a progressive, degenerative condition but that rate of prgression and degeneration is individual. The good news is that you have been given a new hip at a young age so hopefully you will be able to gain a proper amount of benefit from that - as for your shoulder it is worth talking to your GP about what can be done to help. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Sarah

Welcome to the forum. I hope your new hip and you are friends now. :) I may be wrong but I do not think that it should be presumed that once OA strikes in one joint it will raise its ugly head elsewhere. Saying that I started off with oa in my thumbs around early forties, and have had two total knee replacements, in 2008 and 2010. Recently I had problems with vertebrae compressing on my spinal cord so had an op to help with that. I know some others that may only have arthritis in the thumbs. So not run of the mill but a possibility. There may also be large gaps inbetween discomfort in one joint and another starting up. I shall be 62 at the end of this year.

It may not be oa in your shoulder but something else so I would suggest you get it checked out by a medic.

Look after yourself

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Sarah

and welcome form me too :)

It is possible that you have or will have OA in other joints over time, but there are other things liek frozen shoulders which might be causing your pain :?

In your shoes I would be going back to the docs and asking for a diagnosis re that shoulder (I do mine up round my waist then swivel it into place - incase it helps :wink: ).

I hope you decide to stay on the forums - we are a nice bunch on here :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello Sarah and welcome to the forum.

I can only speak for myself and regret to say I've got OA in numerous joints and have had one hip replacement so far. Other people I know have had a knee or hip replaced and everything else is fine. It just seems to be up to the individual.

In my case, both my parents were never troubled with it, nor my sister and brother.

As the others have already said, best get your shoulder checked out by the doctor. Let us know how you get on.

Janet xx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Sarah,
    Welome to the forum.......its a very individual thing.....once you have it it does tend to be degenerative.
    Some people may only have it in one or two small joints and others it may be a long time between a first joint starting and another joining in.
    I have OA in both hips, have had 1 hip replacement....but also have it in my back and my neck. I have it in one ankle butthat was trauma.....a car reversing over it and eventually a few years later i had oA there as well.
    So its very hard to say as we are all so different

Love
    Hileena
  • Sarah69
    Sarah69 Member Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks for the replys! I wish I had found this forum before I was diagnosed. I will make a GP appt as my other shoulder is now starting to hurt. Can you tell me what kind of painkillers you all take. I tried everything from paracetamol upto Methadone and it never touched the pain at all! I only take omega 3 Fish oil capsuals which my GP recommended.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    I take paracetamol2 x 4 a day, naproxen 2 a day, omneprozol {stomach liner} and codeine if I really need it but rarely take it.
    The ache is always there....dont think you can be completely pain free.
    Use heat or cold whichever helps you. I use heat.
    Gels if they dont clash with other meds, check that out with the pharmacist.
    Pace yourself etc.....Have you looked at the booklet Osteo Arthritis? or Pain and arthritis....if you look on the main page you'll be able to find the booklets they do and you can order them.

Love
    Hileena
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Options
    Hi Sarah,
    It's very variable. I'm 64 and had arthritis in both knees for about 15 years, finally getting both joints replaced in July. But my other joints seem to be just fine (touch wood!), apart from an occasional twinge which I put down to living a long time. :) But my mother had arthritis in multiple joints. Shoulder pain could be all sorts of things, as others have said; my shoulder twinges now and then from an old injury, but I gather it's nothing more serious than that. Get a diagnosis, especially if it's getting worse, but try not to worry too much until you know for certain...easier said than done I know.
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Sarah, Welcome to Arthritis Care! Arther (as we call it!) Is a nasty unforgiving illness and will effect any joint. There is a lot out there that can be done! And meds are available to ease pain and inflammation. So don't give up on your life! you have Arthritis Care Forum now with all us crazy folk :lol: Welcome again Sarah!
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    I have OT of the spine but awaiting further tests to see if this is something else as xrays showed inflamation of the spine. Strange that I feel so much pain yet the physiotherapist keeps telling me dont worry this isnt a permanant disability , with time I will improve. I'm not a negative person but I reaaly dont believe him at the point in time, I've obviously had these problems for years on and off by it seems to have got an awful lot worse over the last 18months
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi an dwelcome from me too.. Hopefully it's not arthur in the shoulders and maybe something muscular, much easier dealt with :D

I have osteo in my spine and knees, also have rheumatoid in other joints too.
    I am on fentanyl pain patches, paracetamol, amitriptolene and lanzoprazole (stomach liner) also take sulphasalazone for the rheumatoid.

Wish you the very best hun, keep posting, this place is a wealth of knowledge and support..
    :D:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello again Sarah, I hope you are as well as you can be. Pain relief (and its effectiveness) varies from person to person but one thing is for sure; the tablets rarely 'kill' the pain - let's face it, if they did it wouldn't come back. :wink: I prefer the term 'pain dullers' because that is what they do - they dull the sharper edges of it this allowing us to get on with what we need to do. One of the key strategies is to learn to cope with and manage the pain by pacing oneself with chores etc - do a bit then rest a bit is my mantra. I have a fair few affected joints and pain is a constant companion but it does give me a useful feedback when I am getting close to overdoing things. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben