1 quick ESA question [not about forms etc]

Options
toady
toady Member Posts: 2,180
edited 20. Oct 2012, 16:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I'd appreciate any opinions on this.

For reasons too long to go into, i was sent an appt by ATOS without having been sent an ESA50 to fill in. I now have the form (had it this monday), and have explained to ATOS that I won't be keeping the appt (it's this Monday, 22nd). They're fine with that, but can only remake it up to 3 weeks ahead-ish - which is a bit short for time I suspect, for me to get form back to DWP, them to poke it about, & send it on to ATOS.

OR, they suggested I ask DWP to cancel altogether & give me more time, to sort everything. If you were in my shoes which option would you go for? On the one hand I think 3 weeks will be cutting it fine (and ATOS can't remake it a second time apparently without a lot of hoohah). On the other, do I really want more hassle ringing DWP for the umpteenth time. Also I'm clinging to the faint hope that my ESA50 + evidence will be enough for me not to be called in face-to-face (optimism here), and having an appointment in place seems a bit like conceding I will definitely be going. Can't decide. :?

Am just canvassing opinions.. thanks.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry, can't help, Toady. Just bumping it up.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,482
    Options
    Gosh Toady

a tricky one I think....

what would I do?

Knowing me I would keep the apt in 3 weeks time and work like mad to get everything done in time, stress myself out horrendously and end up in a proper state :oops:

But that's just me. I don't take risks.

I hope someone else here has a better idea sorry

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    I dont know anything about ESA,this is an hard one...if they cancel it and give you more time does this mean it wont be backdated to your original claim..if it is then I would go with the extra time..if not then the 3 weeks will have to do..sorry Im not much help , but I do wish you good luck with it all x
    Love
    Barbara
  • toady
    Options
    Thanks :) Sorry, I should have said I am going over from IB to ESA, so this is not a new claim.

I only have ATOS's word that DWP will even agree to cancel, & I'm not sure I want to get into it after the hassle it's been just getting to this point. ATOS said if I ring today more appointments will have come available further ahead but maybe not by much.

I will most likely do the same as you frogmorton.. mainly to get it over with, who wants to push this sort of thing ahead. What I can see happening, is that I get all the stuff off to them in good time & it still goes wrong, so I'll have to see what happens. I've been advised to ask for a recorded interview, and they will probably fail to set that up or some such, and the whole thing will go awry anyway. :roll:

Still hoping I won't get called, because after my last IB50, which I 'passed' without a medical, they haven't recalled me for a long long time. I know things are so much tougher now though.
  • toady
    Options
    Update: phone ATOS and apparently my appointment was remade for me after I phoned yesterday (don't ask me why) now for 2nd Nov. No appointments further ahead than the 9th, they said; totally different to what I was told yesterday.

That's the second ATOS person that's suggested I ask DWP to withdraw my file pending, which it seems to me they should have done all along.. can't ring them today, so will have to take it up with them on Monday. That will be fun grr. I'm sure they now think I'm messing them around, which is a bit rich considering the mess-ups they've made.
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Toady

No wonder you are frustrated, I can't hlep you in any way I'm afraid as I am in a quandry myself due to DWP incompetnece and have just applied for ESA so will probably be on soon myself looking for advice, hope you get everything sorted out soon without to much hassle......Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Hi

Really hope you get this sorted out on Monday and that it goes smoothly from then on. I had my ATOS assessment last week, so please ask if you need any other advice.

All the best, Shula
  • toady
    Options
    Many thanks for input on this.

On further thought I've decided to put a request in writing for DWP to put things on hold til I can return my form. I still don't really understand why an appointment was made for me anyway, [without the ESA50] and it doesn't seem right to have one in place that falls well inside the time which I am entitled to have for form-filling & whatnot. Would be good to get something back in writing as I've already had all sorts of different opinions from phoning, & no proof of any of it.

All the very best with your ESA 'doings', Marie & Shula, & thanks for offer of advice, I am sure I'll be glad of it.