codeine

Options
Sheenie17
Sheenie17 Member Posts: 11
edited 21. Oct 2012, 13:14 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,
I have a two quick question. I have RA in my hip. I get pain in my hip, knee & lower back. Firstly: Does anyone else find sometimes rather than 'pain', its like a continuous dull ache, and it feels heavy (stiff and hot)?
Secondly Pain killer Q: All I take for this is Naproxen, I was taking it twice a day but to be honest i kept forgetting the second one and haven't noticed much difference. I also take codeine when its bad. Does anyone else find that codeine works the best? I worry that i'm relying on it, mainly because of all the warnings you hear about it.
I don't think I'm addicted and don't think i take it enough to be considered addicted. I think its what i read online has made me worry!

I properly take 1/2 30mg. That's not everyday, properly 4days a week. Obv sometimes its more. Normally that does me for the day. I've tried just paracetamol but it just doesn't hit it.
Does this sound about right for other people? Sorry I'm a worrier!

Comments

• hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi
    I have OA and take paracetamol and naproxen. Are you on omneprozol or something similar to protect your stimach?
    When you say you take naproxen twice a day I'm assuming its the slow release kind. Is that right?
    I take mine at approx 9am and 9pm. most meds I can fit in breakfast/lunch/tea/bedtime or something like that but 9pm is such a weird time. I set my alaram on my mobile and I'm sure if that didnt go off I would forget it. :oops:
    I think {could be wrong} :wink: that they have an accumulative effect so try taking the correct dose for a while and see if it helps. I do have codeine to fall back on but rarely use them......like you I dont like to.
    Good luck
    Hileena
  • AndyMaz
    AndyMaz Member Posts: 64
    Options
    I was prescribed codeine by my GP at the start of my AS journey, but I'd only take it if I was struggling with the pain. The combination of codeine and naproxen put me on my backside, but the naproxen did nothing for me.

Paracetamol was next to useless for me.

I take Diclofenac now.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I used to take naproxen but found it achieved very little in terms of being an anti-inflammatory let alone acting as as a pain duller. I now take diclofenac and that does help on both fronts. For pain I use co-codamol 30/500 and get by on four a day. I could take more but don't as I find the pain level a useful feedback for when I am getting close to overdoing things. I have two forms of arthritis and yes, a dull ache is always present in my knees, ankles and sacro iliac joints but there is also a 'hot' layer especially in the knees. The meds I take for my auto-immune version don't touch the OA but then why would they? That is a totally different beast.

Codeine works because it's a strong analgesic. All strong pain relief comes with its own set of troubles so it may be worth having a chat to your GP about what is best for you. I think, however, that if one has arthritis then living with pain is part and parcel of the condition because controlling it ain't so easy. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben