Time to stop

Options
7worlds
7worlds Member Posts: 302
edited 23. Oct 2012, 13:14 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hey Gang. Before RA darkened my door i was a keen runner. I had done a marathon, various half marathons and other races.Even with all that was going on, i tried to maybe do 3 or 4 miles a few times a week when i was feeling well enough. It was probably silly, but it made me feel i was still in control. Yesterday i took part in an 8 mile run with my sis in law. She is a runner too and recently recovered from breast cancer, so was keen to do it. I could have said no but i wanted to support her. I managed to get round but i now know that thats it. Ill never run again. I know that im lucky that i can walk never mind run, and ive been lucky to get away with it so far, but i just feel sad that ill miss that feeling that i used to get with just me and the sound of my own footsteps alone with my thoughts. All part of coming to terms with it i suppose.

7worlds

Comments

• barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Aww 7worlds
    I really do feel for you, and like you say its part of coming to terms with things, but its far from easy...I have sought of come out the other side, but I do have down days, but with distraction I can get through them.
    I do wish you well with everything xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • 7worlds
    Options
    Thanks Barbara. I dont feel sorry for myself, i just feel sad. You know how it is.

7Worlds
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    I know how you feel 7worlds. I ran half marathons for 10 years but, suddenly three years ago, I found it too painful. I still have it in my mind some days that I will run again but, other days, I think it is a silly idea if I can't even walk sometimes with the pain.
    Christine
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi 7worlds

I know how you feel I used to run just to keep fit until 4 years ago not really down to arthur but a neurological condition I also have, like yourself I feel sad not sorry for my self my running was my escapism, hope you are not in to much pain............Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi 7Worlds, It is sad that Arther has taken the one thing you loved and made you feel in control. I'm sorry that you had to make the decision it was time to stop. I'm so sorry that you have had to stop running, I've never been good at any type of sport type activity. I had to stop P.E at school from the age of 12 due to what I now know was Arther!
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello 7worlds

Sorry to hear you have had to give up your running. I know how you feel as I have had to give up things I loved doing too and I sometimes think "if only". I can distract myself with other things, but still miss my long walks and cycling.

Janet x
  • 7worlds
    Options
    Hey Applerose, Villier,Bubbadog and Knuckleduster. Thanks for your replies. My non Arthur friends must have been wondering why i had a wee cry when i crossed the finish line. :cry:

7Worlds
  • bubbles
    bubbles Member Posts: 6,508
    Options
    Hi 7worlds, I am sorry that you have had to give up something that you loved to do, it is, indeed, very hard and very frustrating. I used to love climbing the high peaks in the Lake District, now, four steps and I am done for. How times and illness change ones life and activity. I try and divert myself as much as possible, pottering has been perfected to a fine art and you do achieve things, albeit smaller goals, that take a longer time, but it all counts.
    Take lots of care, XX Bubbles
    XX Aidan (still known as Bubbles).
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Its not a matter of what you can't do, just a matter of what you can get up to next! Let that mind start working out what is next on the list of 'to do's', work towards something all the time, whatever you achieve is a bonus.

Non-weight bearing exercise is the answer, I'd be lost without my bike, the real answer is to give myself time to enjoy it, I 'sign off' a whole morning just to enjoy getting out and feeling good.
  • arfaitis
    arfaitis Member Posts: 155
    Options
    Hi 7worlds, I went through the same phase some years back, now at 74 I play badminton, table tennis, aerobics and archery, and I have had both legs with TKR's.
    This is all down to the wonder drug rituximab, I am in complete remission after 40 years of agony.
    You say you ran 8 miles, that is a long way, try smaller distances, I think as someone has said non load bearing exercises sound best for you, go swimming, best possible in your case.
    Good luck

Arfa
  • 7worlds
    Options
    Thanks Bubbles Airwave and Arfa, Yes, im going to re group and have a think about what i can do, not what i cant. Thank you all for your support and understanding.

7Worlds