Flu jab

Options
tinydancer
tinydancer Member Posts: 74
edited 9. Nov 2012, 19:27 in Living with Arthritis archive
Are folk with RA eligible for the flu jab?

Comments

• salamander
    salamander Member Posts: 1,906
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yes,in a word.
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    Options
    yes they are...best to have it
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    You should also ask for a pnuemonia jag too, which is a one off.
  • tinydancer
    Options
    I've had the pneumonia one couple months ago, surprised I've not been advised on the flu one, must ring my surgery
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Tinydancer

My understanding is that it's not the RA itself which qualifies you for a flu jab - but if you are taking immunosuppressant meds (which most of us RA'ers are) you are certainly eligible. Top tip - follow up with your GP sooner rather than later because if you are not "on their list" you don't want to find they run out of vaccine before you get yours. That has happened to me on more than one occasion (and although you can pay for flu jabs in places like Boots, I have found they tend not to want to do it if you have existing medical conditions).

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Tilly xxx
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    My OH & I haven't had it now for 3yrs after getting a nasty flu bug! It knocked us for 6. My OH hardly ever gets ill or has bugs so that shows how bad that was. So we both agreed not to have the jabs anymore.
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I've just come back from holiday with a nasty cold which went straight to my chest! I should have had my jab before I went but now I'll have to wait till this wretched cold has gone. I didn't know there was a jab for pneumonia, I'm on immunosuppressants so should I ask for one?

Numps x
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Numpty, I,m on immune suppresents too, and my doc strongly advised me to get the pneumonia jab. Think we are more at risk of getting pneumonia, I had it just before my RA kicked in, and I would not like to get it ever again!
  • applerose
    applerose Member Posts: 3,621
    Options
    Just wondering, Bubbadog, why you don't have the flu jab. It isn't a live virus so there is no way you can catch the flu from it. If anyone has flu symptoms after having the jab, it is because they already had the virus before the jab. After all, the flu virus is going round from around October.
    Christine
  • tinydancer
    Options
    I phoned my surgery yesterday and receptionist said if I was eligible I would have had a letter. Don't understand why I never got one when they gave me pneumonia one. :roll:
  • Loulou11
    Loulou11 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    If you immune system is suppressed in any way then you are entitled to a flu jab as your more susepitable to infections
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm elligible but no longer get a letter because my surgery changed how they draw up their list of who qualifies. My immuno-suppressant meds (although listed on my notes) are prescribed by the hospital so ergo I slip through my GPs now wide-meshed net. I now have to ask and I'm off for mine this afternoon. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • paulch
    paulch Member Posts: 103
    Options
    :roll: HI . I Have just had my flu jab and pneumonia , as i was hospitlised with pnemonia 3 yrs back (i dont reccomend it very nasty )
    i get flu jab more because of my stroke and my ammune is not good .
    tc
  • tinydancer
    Options
    Phoned the surgery again there as no-one got back to me and yes I've to get it
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I had my flu jab this morning, but will ring and ask about pneumonia jab on Monday.
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.