Hello everyone

Options
gayebrown
gayebrown Member Posts: 16
edited 3. Nov 2012, 15:21 in Say Hello Archive
Hello

I am new on here. I am 53 diagnosed with severe OA in my right knee (grade 4 bone on bone) and am waiting to see a surgeon to see if I have to have a knee or part knee replacement. I've had problems with my knee for years but seem to be going down rapidly all of a sudden, am on anti inflammatories which don't seem to help at all, I've 2 dogs so need to try and carry on walking, but am struggling, by the end of the day my knee is like a balloon. My left knee is now also hurting. I live alone and feel very alone, I don't want to get depressed. Would love to make new on line friends who are in the same boat, and any tips for keeping on smiling, as currently my decresing mobility is scaring the hell out of me ! I can't seem to remember the last time I got up in the morning and had no pain! :?

Comments

• tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello gayebrown and welcome.

I am so sorry you are struggling so much and feel so alone. But I am pleased you have found us. You will be in good company here and able to share with people who understand what life with (any kind of) arthritis can be like. You will find most of us on "Living with Arthritis" (LWA) and "Chit-Chat" forums and I know that if you repost your message on LWA you will get some replies.

Please feel free to join in - we are a friendly bunch and you will be made very welcome.

Thinking of you.

Tilly xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Join us lot Gaye

that's a good tip from me :wink:

Take a look at the forums and join in anywhere you will be more than welcomed :)

Chit chat is for non-arthritis stuff (book club - virtual café jokes word games etc) so good for distraction LWA is good for a moan, tips, advice and support.

Lovely to meet you

Toni xxx
  • gayebrown
    Options
    thanks both of you
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hey Gayebrown. Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum :D

7Worlds
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi

Welcome to a great place, I am pretty new here myself, the support and kindness is second to none, like yourself I live on my own but since joining this forum I don't feel so alone, there is always someone around to listen and be there for you. Don't be afraid to post how you feel anytime, everyone has been there and it helps to vent off now and then, as the others said have a look around especially on chit-chat where you will becertain to get some laughs, hope to see you around..............tc.........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi Gayebrown. Welcome to the forum. Hope you can get some advice and medications sorted soon to get some pain relief. I am on my own too and know how you feel. My pain is not quite so bad when I first get up but within 10 minutes of moving around the pain starts (I have OA in my back, which affects my mobility) and the more I walk the worse the pain gets. Some days can be very lonely especially when you are in severe pain. When that happens, I log on to the forum and there is always someone to 'chat' to that will understand how you feel and you can always have a good old moan about things and you can be sure that all
    of us will know exactly how you feel. Will no doubt 'see' you around. Take care. Beryl
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I am glad you have found us because we do understand what it's like - I think the words 'bl**dy awful' neatly sum it up. :wink:

My last pain free days were in March 1997 and I can't remember how they felt. I have OA in both knees and both ankles as a result of the joint damage caused by my auto-immune arthritis, which went undiagnosed and therefore untreated for far too long. I will soon be having carpal tunnel surgery on both wrists (again probably attributable to the auto dross) and that will leave me stranded for at least ten days as I won't be able to use my crutches or my rollator. Ye gods. :roll: I have been told I will be eligible for nice shiny new knees when I am 55, so I have two years to wait. Hey-ho, I shall keep grinding on, causing further damage to those and other joints because I think it is important to stay as mobile as possible so that my muscles get some exercise. Do you use a stick or other form of walking aid? They can ease quite a lot of strain from the affected joint, the trick is to hold the support on the oppposite side to the affected joint. The stick is there for balance and stability, it shouldn't be heavily leaned on as that will only upset your neck and shoulders.

I hope you can get your knee sorted soon, it's not a pleasant thing to live with. I always sit with both legs up on a stool, with a pillow under my knees to support them (mine no longer lie flat) and it is imnportant to rest the poorly joint as often as you can. I wish you well and look forward to seeing your name here and here around the forum. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • gayebrown
    Options
    thank you everyone