Problems with Methotrexate, Leflunomide, Sulfasalazine

Options
David50
David50 Member Posts: 16
edited 24. Oct 2012, 14:08 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi, I have had arthritis for a number of years and have tried the usual immunosuppressants but find I react badly to them, they affect my breathing, I also have follicular bronchiolitis which is an arthritic lung disease. I get through the day with 2 time release Naproxen and up to 8 Co-codamol 30/500, lots of high fibre food and laxatives.
Does anyone have similar problems with immunosuppressants?
The next option is Hydroxychloroquine, does anyone use this, how well does it work.

Thanks for any help

Dave

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi David

Lovely too meet you.

Not lovely to hear how badly you have done on the DMARDs you have tried so far :( .

I am on hydroxy no real problems with it to be honest so far. Just need to get your eyes tested and l think it upset my stomach at first but solved by eating half my meal then tablet then the rest of it.

Hope you find the forums useful

Toni xx
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    Options
    Hey David. I too have taken metx, lef and sulpha in that order. I had various side effects with each of them which made them impossible to take. I am now on Hydroxy and so far, apart from a bit of nausia for half an hour after i take it, it has worked out ok.The only thing is im not sure how much its helping the RA. It seems to me everytime i change to a different drug, Arthur takes up residence somewhere else in my body :roll: However, these drugs effect everyone in different ways so this could be the one for you. Although not perfect, its certainly been the best one for me so far, so try and give it a go,it could be the right one for you.

7Worlds
  • David50
    Options
    Thanks frogmorton and 7worlds, I am back to see yet another locum consultant rheumatologist next month and I might just give it a try, do either of you take painkillers and anti inflammatories as well as hydro?

Dave
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi David. I take meth and hydroxy and I previously took hydroxy on its own and I have no problems. I did once get breathing problems with lef following a flu jab. I was taken off lef and been OK since. (Just had my flu jab today :wink: ) Good luck with the hydroxy.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • 7worlds
    7worlds Member Posts: 302
    Options
    David50 wrote:
    Thanks frogmorton and 7worlds, I am back to see yet another locum consultant rheumatologist next month and I might just give it a try, do either of you take painkillers and anti inflammatories as well as hydro?

Dave
    Hey David. yes, i take an anti inflam called celebrex and co codomol for pain relief
  • giggleberry
    giggleberry Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi, I have taken hydroxy for about 4-5 months now without any problems. Think it is generally considered very toleratable, just need to get your eyes tested yearly as mentioned above.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi,

I take hydroxy chloroquuine, sulfa salazine and cocodamols for pain. I have bronchiectasis and asthma too and have been fine with these drugs, though some other anti-inflammatories have given me breathing problems.

Hope you get the right treatment for you soon.

Regards
    Deb x
  • frogmorton
    Options
    HI David

sorry I am late back on

I take arcoxia as an anti-inflam and bu-trans pain patches with co-cos for any breakthrough pain (occaisional really rare)

Hydroxy has really been pretty good for me :)

Love

Toni xxx
  • David50
    Options
    Thanks for all the help and advice

Dave :D
  • David50
    Options
    Hi Tony

I was taken off arcoxia because of heart problem side effects which is when I began naproxin which I have found to be great except they cause me severe constipation hence the high fibre diet which isn't always fun but does the job.

Dave :D
  • frogmorton
    Options
    Hi Dave

I was worried about heart risks too. My Mum and Dad both died young due to their hearts :shock:

All other anti-inflams much up my belly though.....

Re the 'other' issue - have you ever tried a small glass of prune juice? Trust me it work a treat :lol:

Toni xx