taken off amitriptyline and put on dosulepin

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 26. Oct 2012, 06:48 in Living with Arthritis archive
Although I was only taking 10mg amitriptyline, it was interacting with the thyroxine and causing my blood pressure to rise and thus making me feel very light headed.

Doctor has put me on 25mg dosulepin ( antidepressant) which should help me to sleep and relax through the pain like the amitriptyline. The only problem is, this will also interact with the thyroxine. Has anybody else on the forum used dosulepin. If so, how did you get on with it. Seems a bit odd having to take an antidepressant when I'm not depressed, but the doctor said she would rather I take that than sleeping pills.

Janet xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Sorry, can't help Janet but I hope someone else will be able to.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    Yes, I have been given amitriptyline anti depressant as a sedative to take on the evening for OA only snag is it makes me feel groggy in the morning and I still have to work full time but I have low blood pressure so very light headed with it too
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    I had to look this drug up and its as I thought its another name change.
    First Prothiadin/Dothiapin....now changed again.
    It doesn't make sense to take you off one drug that interacts with your Thyroxine and put you on another that as she says might do the same.
    This is one of the older types of anti-depressants...certainly been around for over 20 years.
    I've never taken anything like this but one of my friends swore by them.
    I'm not sure if she was taking thyroxine though.
    Any unexplained side effects I would report to your doc.
    Sorry I can't be more help.
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    Just had a call from GP they are now giving me duloxiphine(not sure how you spell it but thats what it sounds like)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    It's a tricky one, isn't it? Drug interractions are a minefield for some of us and there is also the fact that one drug can be used to treat a number of problems with the dosage being the important factor. I hit a very low patch when the OA in my knees was confirmed and I asked for an anti-dep to help me through. It did, and I wanted to come off it but my rheumatologist said no, I was to stay on it to help me cope with the pain, which makes perfect sense to me. I hope the new med helps and doesn't upset anything it shouldn't, you included. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Janet
    I am on amitryptilines..not a clue how to spell it ...what I dont understand is why they are putting you on another that could interfere with your thyroxin....you make sure you ask about it...I always ask the chemist they know more about the meds than the doctors do.xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

I spoke to the duty doctor on the phone yesterday because I was worried about a couple of points on the information sheet. She said dosulepin is an old drug which isn't widely used these days because of patients developing suicidal tendencies :cry: . Nice one I thought. So took one last night and I got a whole two hours of sleep, whereas the amitriptyline knocked me out for eight hours. Such a shame the rest of me couldn't take the side effects of the amp :roll: .

Have a good weekend everyone.

Janet xx