Gabapentin and side effects

Options
PollySid
PollySid Member Posts: 343
edited 25. Oct 2012, 10:11 in Living with Arthritis archive
I am on 3x300mg Gabapentin a day which I know is not a particularly high dose. It seems to work quite well for me and I've not noticed any major side effects.
I have read on here of people having bad effects from it.
What doses causes these side effects? I'm just wondering in case I get to the point of needing a higher dose.

Comments

• vwkamper
    vwkamper Member Posts: 132
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi,

Not everyone gets side effects i didn't and still don't i'm now on the
    maximum dose of 3 x 300mg, 3 x a day.

So i wouldn't worry.

lexy
    P.M.A Positive Mental Attitude.
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi Pollysid. I have been on Gabapentin but had to come off it because of the side effects. It was completely 'crashing' me out and I was falling asleep ever 20 minutes,and when I wasn't asleep I felt like a complete zombie. The idea of trying to sort out pain relief is to enable me to do more, NOT less, so had to come off it. Am currently on pain patches but find that they are not doing what they are supposed to do and do have some minor side effects. If I was getting pain relief I would put up with the side effects but there doesn't seem much point when I'm not. Hope the Gabapentin helps you. Beryl
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Pollysid
    I'm not on them because I already take anti convulsants for epilepsy which would clash....but not everyone gets every side effect of any med....I dont think I could answer that question.

Love
    Hileena
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Pollysid

When I was on gabapentin(low dose)I was literally bouncing off the walls but everyone's different, I have a weird body, me and oral meds don't seem to work, it seems to be working for you at the moment long may it continue, I wish you well...........Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I'm on Gabapentin 300mg 3x a day never had any side effects from it. I also take a nice mixture of meds in the day and night. I think they put the side effects warning to cover there backs incase anything happens.

Hileena I take carbamazipine as a anti-sezuire med for my sezuires along side Gabapentin and never had a problem.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Polly
    I take gabapentin for nerve pain,the only side effects I had in the early days was confusion, now people that know me didnt notice... they said I was always confused... :oops: but I just felt different..thankfully it soon passed, I did try to do without them, but boy did I know about it .
    Love
    Barbara