STT hand joint fusion

Options
mand
mand Member Posts: 3
edited 24. Oct 2012, 18:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I haven't used this forum before but was wondering if anyone can help me? I have osteoarthritis in my STT joints in my hands/wrists, just below the thumb. I was hoping someone may have had an STT fusion and might be able to tell me how much movement they actually lost? I am a pianist and I am conscious of the pain every day but I don't want to go ahead with a fusion if it's going to seriously impact on my playing. I teach piano you see. Has anyone any advise please?
Mand

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mand, and welcome to the forum.
    I can't really help, I had a full wrist fusion 7 weeks ago, and I'm still in a plaster cast, another 3 weeks to go. I won't have any movement in my wrist at all. Of course an STT fusion is different anyway.
    I'm sure someone will be along soon to help.
    Wishing you well,
    Numpty
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Mand

A big welcome to the forum afraid I can't help you either, I get a finger fusion done soon a lot different to what you are getting, I am sure someone will be able to advise hope to see you around .......Marie
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Mand

I am no use whatsoever, but wanted to wish you all the very best and hope it doesn't stop you playing

Love and luck

Toni xx
  • mand
    mand Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hi

Thanks to you three for your kind words.

A full wrist fusion sounds traumatic. I hope it heals well and gives you some relief.

I shall be interested to see how the finger fusion goes. The best of luck with that.

Perhaps given a few days someone will be able to help. I'm thinking I shall have to go back to the consultant anyway as I seem to be getting a lot of pain in my wrist, so lower than the affected joint. I'm just wondering whether all this pain is caused by the degradation of my STT joints or indeed whether there is something else going on as well like carpel tunnel?

This arthritis thing is a mine field. I have pain in my back and shoulder too, should I be getting that checked out as well? Supposedly one should get an early diagnosis but I'm not sure why because it doesn't seem to aid treatment! Oh I suppose the injections would be more effective - my joints are beyond that now - but it's only a temporary fix anyway even if it does work. :)

Mand