How long does it take for stomach ulcer pain to subside?

Options
tillytop
tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
edited 24. Oct 2012, 14:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello peeps

I have been struggling mightily with my stomach for months and months but since Sunday it has finally got the better of me and I have been to the GP twice in the past couple of days in proper, grown up, shrieking, pain.

He, like me, suspects either an ulcer or at the very least excessive stomach acid (despite routinely taking 30mg Lanzoprazole daily) and he has doubled the Lanzop dose to 60mg - one in the morning and one in the evening. He has also given me stronger morphine pills to help with pain cos the oromorph just hasn't been cutting the mustard.

He has indicated that if the problem is an ulcer or the like, I should start to see an improvement after 2-3 days on the higher dose Lanzop and I am clinging to that cos I can't cope with this any more.

Please can anyone else out there with experience let me know how quickly things improved for them once their ulcer was being treated? It may be a "how long is a piece of string" question, I know but any thoughts welcome cos I am way beyond desperate....

Many thanks,

Tilly xxx

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Dear Tilly,
    I'm so sorry you are suffering like this.
    When my OH had a stomach ulcer, he was prescribed anti biotics. I seem to remember the first course didn't help. He then had a much longer course, which did the trick.
    I remember how much pain he was in and I hope you get sorted very soon.
    Thinking of you,
    Numpty
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello Tilly

Can't help you with how long it takes for the pain to subside, so just sending all my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Janet x
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Awe Tilly

Sorry can't give you an answer pet hope things settle down quickly for you..........tc.....Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    So sorry you are suffering,can't help but I am sending hugs.Mig
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thanks all so much for taking the time to reply.

At this moment I feel much more comfortable than I have for the past few days and actually feel as if I can eat something - whereas I have just been eating the bare minimum so that I can take my pills without causing further probs.

Thanks again - much appreciated.

Tilly xxx
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    Hi Tilly

Just texted my Sis, (she had the same problem a year or so ago), who said that that dose should be about right and wished you luck and a speedy recovery

Love

Toni xx
  • tillytop
    Options
    Thank you so much for doing this Toni - and to your Sis for her advice and good wishes. The thought that I could start to feel better reasonably quickly has cheered me no end. :D

Thanks again.

Love Tilly xxx