hi guys, it,s richy (again)

Options
richy
richy Member Posts: 55
edited 28. Oct 2012, 11:23 in Living with Arthritis archive
i,l try to keep this as short as pos,
just had a posted prescrirtion for methrtrexate, im already on hydro, two a day, so do i take the two together along with the foilc acid :?: or do i ring the local helpline,?
im confused now,,, so im on both? so is this normal,,? this was after my blood test last monday. i do feel a lot better, but iv,e still got swolen feet that ache, im wearing size 14 shoes, im a size 12 normaly cheers guys and thank you for your help,
this forum has been a massive help to me, :)

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Right mate, here goes. From my experience it's usual to take meth together with other drugs and I think that meth and hydroxy is a common combination. I'm surprised that no-one has spoken to you about this because it's not unusual but what is is to receive a prescription without any info. How often do you take the folic acid? I ask because I've only been given that when taking meth. It may be helpful to speak to a rheumatology nurse but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,635
    Options
    richy wrote:
    i,l try to keep this as short as pos,
    just had a posted prescrirtion for methrtrexate, im already on hydro, two a day, so do i take the two together along with the foilc acid :?: or do i ring the local helpline,?
    im confused now,,, so im on both? so is this normal,,? t, :)

Hello richy,
    It is always wise to check out prescription details with your doctor, rheumatologist or pharmacist as they are familiar with your specific condition, treatment and optimum dosages. :D Moderator
  • richy
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    Right mate, here goes. From my experience it's usual to take meth together with other drugs and I think that meth and hydroxy is a common combination. I'm surprised that no-one has spoken to you about this because it's not unusual but what is is to receive a prescription without any info. How often do you take the folic acid? I ask because I've only been given that when taking meth. It may be helpful to speak to a rheumatology nurse but I don't think it's anything to be concerned about. Please let us know how you get on. DD

hi dd,
    im on hydro already, but now the new prescription is for meth,and folic acid, i,l call the consulant today, make sure, once again thankyou,,,
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Hi Richy,

I've been on the meth/hydroxy/folic acid combo for years with good effect. However, you need instructions before taking the meth. You need to know which day to take it, which day(s) to take the folic acid, how often to go for blood tests (They are very important and will be frequent at first) and you should also be given a booklet in which all your blood results are recorded and which you must hand in to the doc whenever you need a meth prescription. You should also carry the booklet around with you in case of emergencies but I wear a bracelet thing instead.

Check it all out first and I hope you get as good results as I do with it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    I've been on both and never been told to take them at the same time. I took Mtx once a week and hydroxy twice a day.

Hope that helps
    Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Richy
    Sorry I cant offer any help, but I do wish you well with the meds x
    Love
    Barbara
  • richy
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Hi Richy
    Sorry I cant offer any help, but I do wish you well with the meds x
    thats nice and thankyou, xxx
  • richy
    Options
    got my prescription of meth today,, the bottle says, ( take 3 weekly for two weeks,then take four weekly for two weeks, then take 6 weekly) plus the folic acid,, plus im on 2 hydro a day? im confused now??????
    i rang the help number in my (books) today and they only open from 9 till 1,,,,
    even the pharmasist said ( iv,e never seen meth taking over one a week) so i told him i was also on two hydro a day,,, he just looked confused,, and pointed out in my book it says never take more than one meth a week!
    i,l ring the help line tommorow again, and let you know what the hells going on! ache feet richy,, lol,,,,,,
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Bl**dy hell mate, don't take ANYTHING new meds-wise until you have spoken to a member of your rheumatology team. When I was on tablet meth I had to take a number of 5mg tablets at the same time once a week (e.g. two every Thursday morning) but your instructions sound very weird to me. Please let us know how you get on with contacting someone. DD
  • richy
    Options
    **** it, im knocking all meds on the head untill further notice,,, yeah i know i,l be ill once more, better than being dead tho, even the pharmist was shocked by the meth, 6 a week!??????????????????????????? :x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Richy

Please do not stop all your meds. On Friday, you must be able to find out what to do from someone whom you see regarding your RA. Do you have a rheumy nurse you can contact? Please do not do anything in haste. Surely it cannot be that difficult to find the help you most desperately require re taking your medication. If all else fails speak with your gp over the phone. Your gp will most definitely not want you to be taking the meds incorrectly and should sort it out for you or advise what steps you should take to get the correct information and from where.

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I think you shouldn't take any NEW meds until you have properly sorted out the dose with the rheumatology team. However, what they're suggesting does sound perfectly normal to me ie you start low to ensure no side-effects then build up the dose. What's worrying is the lack of into re blood tests which should be frequent at first.

I take 6 x 2.5mgs meth weekly. It's a normal dose. Formerly I took 22.5mgs weekly plus 2 x hydroxy daily. Now I only take 1 hydroxy daily. I don't think you should be concerned about the dosage, richy, but I do think you should be concerned about the lackadaisical manner in which it has been prescribed. My advice would be to stick with what you're currently taking until you've had proper instructions about the meth, folic acid and frequency of blood tests. And insist on the booklet in which the bloods results are kept.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ELAINE55555
    ELAINE55555 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Hi Richy

I was on 10 meth tablets, once a week. That is the maximum dose. So don't be shocked by 6. However speak to your ruemmy before you continue.

Take care.
  • richy
    Options
    made the call today, and yes im told my prescription is correct,
    meth, three weekly for 2 weeks, then, four weekly for two weeks, then 6 weekly :shock:
    once again thanks all for your help and support
    cheers richy,,,,
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    So relieved you checked it out, Richy and that it is clear in your mind what to do regarding your meds. Enjoy your weekend, I am looking forward to my weekend. ;):)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Richy I am so glad you have got that sorted...you can relax a little now over the weekend...hope its a good one x
    Love
    Barbara
  • richy
    Options
    cheers guys, im on on a iccle bit of a stag night later, lol, so starting the meds monday :lol: enjoy your weekend one and all,,,
    once again thanks guys 8)
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    Oh! I see now, that makes sense - what is the dosage level of the tablets? I know that you gently increase (as with all these things) and I hope it helps you. Good luck - and I hope the stag do doesn't get too messy! DD
  • richy
    Options
    thanks dd. good stag do, now its time to settle down and get on the meds, there 2.5mg (meth) 3 a week rising to 6 a week over the month,,
    i,l let you know how it go,s, my feet are still like ballons tho :(
    cheers all richy,,,
  • dreamdaisy
    Options
    I started on 5mgs, two a week for a while then three or four. I went for a routine appointment with the rheumatologist and she noted a rash on my forearms. 'Stop the meth immediately' she said. My cheer rang out loud and clear as I was due to go a beer festival the following week. That turned out to be much more fun that I had anticipated. :wink:

Good luck, take it near bedtime so you can snooze after and I hope it helps. DD