physio appointment

Options
jackie61
jackie61 Member Posts: 9
edited 26. Oct 2012, 10:35 in Living with Arthritis archive
I've just had my 2nd physio appointment for my knee OA. My GP referred me as part of the "protocol" before I can have a scan or see a consultant.
For those of you who havn't seen my previous postings - I'm 51 and a horse rider for 30 years - leading to my hip and knee OA.
On occasional days I can only just feel the pain in my knee when I walk a lot or get up from sitting for long periods at work, but usually I have continuous pain and take indometacin as well as codeine when really bad. Sometimes when I get to sit down to watch TV at the end of the day I get a piercing stabbing pain on the inside of my knee which makes me wince and I have to grit my teeth to bear it, I asked my dad if he has this with his OA knee, but he said it only hurts like that when he's had a long walk. It seem strange that it hurts when the joint isn't even moving?? does anyone else have this?
Anyway, the physio gave me 5 exercises to do to strengthen my knee muscles to support the joint, which he says should ease the pain. I told him that my knee muscles should be strong already from the horse riding!
He's leaving the trust next month, so I'll end up going through it all with someone new. It's difficult remembering to do them 3 times a day when I'm at work for 9 1/2 hours and the last thing I feel like when I get home.
I've been on my exercise bike as well as he advised me to do low impact work, but it's so boring! I enjoy walking, but it's getting too painful, and now I'm starting to put weight on from lack of proper exercise.

Comments

• frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Jackie,

I have taken myself to physio loads of times because of my spinal problems. One time the physio told me that due to pain the muscles "switch off" and so the exercises help to switch them back on again. She even used knee people as an example.

I am an active person too- I swim front crawl a lot and walk everyday. But I still needed to do exercises to strengthen muscles that you would think should be strong - quads and glutes as well as the core. My latest physio told me that it really doesn't take long for muscles to weaken when we don't use them as much, either because they have switched off or because our activity has dropped.

I know and can empathise with you finding it difficult to do the exercises (I am only up at this time so that I can do my daily swim, and it is dark :( ) but I think you really need to try and be disciplined and give them a go. I would imagine that whatever the consultant or scan shows you would be given physio so it may help to get ahead now. You may find that it will help with the pain that you have.

As far as exercise goes could you swim? I would think breastroke would be a bad idea but crawl might be useful. I have medial ligament damage (knee)and I find that crawl helps reduce that pain as I am using and strengthening my quads and hamstrings. I would be bored to tears on an exercise bike - no way I would commit to that as my exercise! But, another idea just came to me, how about a real bike? Than you have the outside benefit like with walking.

I hope that you can find some relief soon. Good luck.

Helen
  • jackie61
    jackie61 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks for your reply Helen.
    I used to swim, but really don't have the time now, my horse is retired but I still have to look after him and also my family!
    I am managing to do the exercises now, I may borrow my daughter's bike in the Spring when the lighter nights are back.
    The physio did say that if I went to a consultant they would expect me to have been to physio and strengthened the muscles as you said - and he said that there was some atrophy in my bad leg, so yes, the muscles have become wasted to a degree. I will persevere with an open mind. I also go to a sports massage therapist who works on my leg muscles, which does seem to help as well. Thanks for your advice.
    Jackie
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    You're welcome Jackie, Good luck and I hope you see some improvement soon.

Helen