trochanteric bursitis and bulging disc

Options
pinkyjules
pinkyjules Member Posts: 3
edited 26. Oct 2012, 05:46 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi, i'm new to this forum dispite suffering from the above for more than 5 years now. I visited a different gp today and he was shocked that i had never been offered any injections for my bursitis. He wants me to go next week for a steriod injection, has anyone else had one of these for this condition? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello pinkyjules, it's nice to meet you. I haven't had a steroid injection for bursitis but I am sure that some on here have - I hope they pop in soon to help. Steroids can be effective but that effectiveness varies from person to person - I would say give it a whirl as you don't have much to lose and possibly some relief to gain. Good luck and do let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Pinky
    I have had injections for bursitis in my hip, Im sorry to say they didnt work for me, but the lady in the next bed was on her second lot and swore by them.
    So its always worth giving them ago ,good luck with it x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi Pinky,

I had injections in both thighs for trochanteric bursitis earlier in the year. They were done in the rheumy clinic by the registrar, he used a scan to locate the inflammation before giving me a local anaesthetic before the steroid injection. It wasn't painful, but it was a bit sore when the anaesthetic wore off. I was advised to rest in bed for 2 or 3 days afterwards to give the steroid the best chance of working- and gladlly accepted the prospect of being pampered by the family!!!!!!! :D

Although it took a few days to really kick in I got a lot of relief, and 6 months later I haven't any pain remaining there.

So i'd say- give it a go, but rest afterwards to give it chance to work.

Deb x
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    Hi, I had both hips injected by rheumi in clinic, wasnt painful at all getting it done but trust me the next day you feel it, I was in pain for 3 days after but I had relief for 7 days then unfortunately it returned with a vengeance, so please do rest after injections as you will need to, if they work apparently they should last 6 months and you can have them again, so good luck but please do rest as I went shopping ater I had them done and unsure whether it was due to that I felt so much pain, us women eh
  • ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Hello

I've also had an injection for trochanteric bursitis, which was done by my GP in his surgery. Unfortunately, it didn't have any effect but I know that a lot of people find it useful. The injections are quite often done using some form of imaging so that it is more accurate (ultrasound or x-ray, I'm not sure which).

Here's hoping it all works well for you.
    Shula
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    Options
    I have had hip and shoulder done, both have the bursitis back again. Hip worked better than shoulder. I had my elbow done recently and that worked brilliantly.

Also had facet joint injections done!
  • nanarose
    nanarose Member Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi. Sorry to hear you are suffering from bursitis - it's so painful.

I've been suffering from this for a long time and it eventually got so bad I was sent to the physiotherapist to see what she could do.

I wasn't given the option of steroid jabs this time, as I've had a few over the last year.

I've had physio to strengthen my muscles and improve my posture, to try and prevent the bursitis re-occurring, and also acupuncture which I was very sceptical about to say the least.

Well, I don't know how it works, but between the two my bursitis has improved so much! The acupuncture did take a few sessions to work, but somehow it has.....
    I do think the physio exercises have helped too, as often we are not using our muscles properly, and need a bit help into being more aware of our posture, walking etc.

So, if your steroid injection doesn't work, though I hope it does, maybe get your doc to refer you to a physio, if you can.

Best of luck x
  • pinkyjules
    pinkyjules Member Posts: 3
    Options
    hi everyone, many thanks for all your replies. i'm booked in for next thursday so fingers crossed it works!
    i have had tried everything going for my back and bursitis, oesteopath, accupuncture, physio and now just neuropathic medication which works most of the time! Its been mentioned to me on a few occasions about having back surgery but that would be a last resort for me, i guess if its not too broken don't try to fix it!!

julia x