Help does anyone know about bloods

Options
jilly
jilly Member Posts: 503
edited 28. Oct 2012, 03:58 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi again, i posted earlier to say i am going to start methotrexate today but i had to wait until the rhumy nurse rung to say my blood results where ok . She rang and said my platlets are to low and they have been for the last 4 times i have had my blood done , this is strange because the results are over 18 months .
She is going to talk to the doctor . I thought that you lovely people might be able to advise me what it is about and will they be able to give me something to sort it out . thanks jilly x

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I ought to know but my mind is currently made of porridge. Sorry. :oops: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    Hi Jilly

According to my meth book .Platelets are essential for normal blood clotting ,your platelets should be between 150-400x109/1..Mine are 382 at the moment.
    If you were taking meth and plates were low it says the meth is harming your bone marrow .So good job you are not taking them .They will have to sort your platelets out first before you can start ,Sorry i cannot tell you what they will give you :( once DD has turned to normal bless her she will know as she is the font of all knowledge ,But having said that there are a few other peeps that will be able to help you .I.m sure they will be along soon .

Fowls xx
  • jilly
    jilly Member Posts: 503
    Options
    thanks DD and fowls that is helpful...jillyx
  • kellerman
    kellerman Member Posts: 741
    Options
    A low platelet count can be sorted by a transfusion. I suppose it depends on how low they are if one will be offered or not.
    Platelets help the blood to clot and before being given any strong drugs your count should certainly be ok.
    Have you had any unexplained bruising/nose bleeds as these would normally alert you to low platelets.
    Sorry...not sure if I've read this right but are you saying you've been like this for 18 months? There may be loads of people who have this but wouldn't know unless a blood test was done but if you want to go ahead with the meth ask if there is something they will do to get them up.