Knee replacement News ....

elnafinn
elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
edited 29. Oct 2012, 16:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.

Comments

• Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Thanks for that, Elna, very interesting. However, I do wonder how different this was from other modern TKR ops...

Most of us have a spinal or epidural, not a general anaesthetic; I certainly did.

I could move both my legs the same day once the anaesthetic wore off, and was up and walking with a zimmer frame the next day, and doing stairs the following day.

They tried to send me home the day after that, but I refused to go as I was in so much pain.

I tried to abandon my sticks after a week or two but was advised to carry on using them - but don't forget I had both knees done together.

I was walking just fine within a few weeks.

This may have been a different technique; I don't know, of course I don't. But I don't trust journalists to get things right, and from what I do know, I wonder if this wasn't just a youngish guy who used to be fit and sporty and recovered very fast...but with nothing else different. Does anyone else know for certain?
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Thanks Elna
    I am so glad they are moving on with these ops....suppose they have to be tested on someone...and he seems to be very happy.
    Love
    Barbara
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Helen thanks for help this morning on Wendys post ,yes I was a bit selfish thinking about it just good to know we are all in the same boat certainly would say to Wendy despite my tempory down patch its still the best thing I have ever done in the arthritis battle glad your all getting improvements as time goes on got swimming in the morning first since op Marrianne :)
  • marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    Just off to read Elna s click on re epidurals etc .Marrianne :)
  • jackie61
    jackie61 Member Posts: 9
    Wow that's amazing! glad to see that they are making advancements in TKR's. I've got OA in one knee but I can still walk, I was hoping that there was something better by the time I need a TKR.
    My dad had a TKR with epidural at age 80 his op went very well and his knee is fine now but he ended up with pernicious aneamia and other complications and was in hospital 9 days, it upset him so much he wouldn't have his other knee done.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    It does seem a different way of doing the op and the man seems to have made a speedy recovery which is always good. However, to trumpet his being out of bed and walking the next day and say 'Traditionally the operation leaves patients bed-ridden for five days' is simply not true. I was walking next day after my revision and everyone in my ward was walking next day. It helps to prevent blood clots and is perfectly normal.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Helenbothknees
    Helenbothknees Member Posts: 487
    Exactly, sticky. Plus I'm fairly sure I've read about the Enhanced Recovery Programme before, and it's just a way of getting you back on your feet and walking faster than they did in the past, not a new op. There seem to be too many errors in this report. Which is why I wonder how accurate it is. :?: