help please as i'm new

Options
rio1
rio1 Member Posts: 4
edited 29. Oct 2012, 06:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi I’m looking for some help on understanding my condition Due to an accident 2 and half years ago I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my right ankle and left knee and I work but find it hard to walk long distance I also can’t run since the accident I work as a bus inspector so most of my work is standing on my feet but I find that I’m in pain soon after starting work its getting difficult each day and don't take pain killers as i get heart palpitations (Ibrufen) I’m not trying to claim benefits or looking for symphony I wanted to know if I would be entitled to a blue badge so I could park closer to the city centre if any body can help me to understand my options please. :?:

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi rio1, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help. I have OA in both my knees and ankles and struggle with walking so I can empathise with your trouble. I've been on two crutches for years and now use a rollator as a matter of routine. The only way to find out if you qualify for a BB is to apply for it - when you fill in the form base your answers on a bad day and hopefully that will be enough to secure one for you. They have their limitations though - it's not a passport to all-day parking in one spot. :wink:

There are options for pain relief apart from ibuprophen, your GP is the person to advise on that. An anti-inflammatory may also help and again that's a matter for him. Good luck and please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • rio1
    Options
    Manythanks for your replie ill fill in the form and also see my doctor manythanks again for a swift response.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi rio1
    And a warm welcome from me, if you dont get benefit and I see you dont then you can still apply through your local council, you have to get a letter from your GP saying how hard life is and how much the badge would help you.
    And like DD says there is pain relief out here, and you do seem to need some, it must be so painful being on your feet all day.
    I do hope you get the badge ..please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • rio1
    Options
    cheers! will make an appointment with my doctor on monday but takes a week or so and will then take it from there you really have all been a great help i have read a quite a few topics now so keep up the good work.
    I think we all need it. manythanks again.
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    welcome from me too..
    I think a revisit to the docs is definitely the way forward. Tell them your pain at its worst and how much it's affecting your work life. I hope they can get you some better meds sorted and that you get the BB. Let us know how it goes. :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi

Pleased to meet you and a big welccome ...........As Barbara said you will probably have to go to your GP to get proof of your Arthur, when I applied I just said it as it was, but say it at is on a bad day. I got it no problem.

I am going to my GP this week about my meds, I get palpitations as well, I have the added problem of getting Immunogloblin treatment every few weeks........hope you get it sorted soon .........tc.....Marie x
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    Welcome, I'm still struggling with pain relief to so I do empathise with you there. I aoolied for a blue badge and an OT assessed me for it at home, I got it so its definately worth a go
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi and welcome
    I dont get benefits and applied for my BB almsot 3 yrs ago now {due to be renewed} and I didnt need to go to the doc so if it takes a while before you get an appointment go ahead and check it out.....your area might not request a docs letter.

Love
    Hileena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi rio1 and welcome to Arthritis Care, let us know what your G.P suggests and good luck with the BB application. Make sure you fill it in with the answers of how you would feel on your worst day! Again welcome to Arthritis Care forum
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    Hi rio1,
    I just wanted to add my good wishes, and welcome you to the forum.
    All the best,
    Numpty