Advise about standing up working.

Options
blackbear
blackbear Member Posts: 14
edited 3. Nov 2012, 05:16 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello All,
I am 77 now and I wonder if their is anyone who can assist me with the following. My left hip is in chronic pain 24 hours a day and I manage this however I cannot stand for a few minutes or put any weight on it . I have a number of hobbies ,one of them being wood work and I would like to know if there is a stand that I can sit on that will take my weight as I progress with the task . I have difficulty just standing up to take a book down from the shelf. I am open to any kind of constructive advice. P.S

The Drs will not do my Hip as I have other medical problems having had a triple Heart bypass.
Thank you Blackbear.

Comments

• Madonna
    Madonna Member Posts: 22
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

I have "perching stool" which enables me to stand while resting the old hips and knees.

Have a word with your GP and explain your difficulity.

OT should be able to provide one, its a great help to me.

Take care
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hello blackbear
    And a warm welcome from me
    Like Maddona I have a tall stool, I can sit down and paint..cooking and ironing, now if I am correct a perching stool goes one bit farther..you can change the height.
    I know we are not suppose to advertise but I got mine from Ikea

You could also ask to see a occupational therapist..they can help with different things to make life that bit easier.
    And may I say what a lovely hobby Im 61 and used to help my dad with his woodwork x
    Love
    Barbara
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to hear from you again. I bought a shower stool (a very sturdy construction which folds up flat) as I don't get on with perching stools (perching is not comfortable for my knees and ankles, I have to sit). I use this when cooking, ironing and (on the very bad days) cleaning. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum Blackbear
    I have a perching stool as well......Your OT should supply you with one.
    You can self refer to an OT

Love
    Hileena
  • knuckleduster
    knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
    Options
    Hello blackbear

I also suggest a perching stool as you would still be able to get close to your work bench. Your OT could supply one. Where I live there is a Red Cross disability equipment loan section where you can try a variety of aids.

Janet xx
  • blackbear
    blackbear Member Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello Madonna, Barbara12, Dreamdaisy, Knuckleduster,and all the others
    Firstly Thank you all for the information with regard to the standing up working. I had never heard of a perching stool and I have had no contact with Operational Therapists. Just through my choice. When I found this sight and Painsupport.com. I found all the advice gleaned from them to be invaluable and have used many of the tips ways to make life less painful. So thank you all for your help and guidence.

Withregard to the original question . I investigated the Perching stool and found that it would be too wide to use in my workshop. However that led me onto looking at bar stools and the did not help either . So I looked at a pine kitchen stool which is narrower and about the right height. So I will use this by adapting it by raising the seating area add a Lazy Susan which will allow me to swing from right to left and use arms length without having to move the position it is in. I will also make the square seating areas swivel up and down to angle it against my bottom in the standing position. When that is done I will cut it to the size I need for the standing weight distribution. So on with the task. Thanks to you all I have drawn up the plan for it and as I have the 2 wooden stools I can have one in the greenhouse or wherever I need it around the house. Might even do a bit of "Ironing " Another "Hobby" I learned when I was in the Army all those years ago. I replied in this way in case someone else likes the idea and can use the information. Thanks and remember to "Catch the moments as they fly and treat them as ye aught man ! For happeness is shy and comes not aye when sought man!! Blackbear
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi blackbear
    Its lovely to hear from you again, I am so glad you are getting there with the stools...it always surprises me what we can do when we try..I am always pleased with myself when I can make my life a little easier...ironing you say...an hobby...can I swop you some soup for a pile of ironing :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    You are not easily defeated, are you Blackbear? You certainly deserve to have a seat you can use after all that effort and I very much hope it works for you. It will be an even better solution given that you've worked everything out for yourself. You have the sort of mind that will cope well with arthritis, not saying 'I can't' but 'How can I?'.

I like your idea very much. having the skills to use it would be another matter :roll: However, I don't do woodwork and I iron standing up, one item - rest - another item - rest etc. It can take a long time but it works for me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I like that phrase of Sticky's, not 'I can't' but 'How can I?' I will remember that!

I am pleased to read that you may have found a solution to your problem - a creative and inventive one at that! I hope it does make a difference and that you will be able to pursue not only your hobbies but the chores too. :wink: Good luck and please let us know how you get on. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Blackbear
    We can be a resourceful lot when we need to be :wink:
    That all sounds fantastic
    Good Luck
    Love
    Hileena