Newcomer!

Options
Labooties
Labooties Member Posts: 5
edited 30. Oct 2012, 16:22 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi
I have just found this forum. I have just been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and not happy! I have had psoriasis for a long time and always believed I would never get arthritis. I am only 33 and have a 19 month old baby. I don't like having this label and the thought of something that could restrict my life if I let it. On reflection perhaps I have had the signs for a long time but didn't relate it to this. I am sure once I process my feelings I will feel more rational about it but mega p&**'d off at the moment.

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    hi, and welcome to the forum.. I'm sorry you've had to find us though..
    Are you under a rhuematology yet? I hope so, that way you can start treatment quicker.
    It's a lot to take in getting the diagnosis and it takes time to adjust but we are all in very similar boats and are here to support and offer advice when and where we can..
    I hope tonight isn't a bad one

:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Milly8
    Milly8 Member Posts: 114
    Options
    Hello and welcome .this is a great site with lots of freindly helpful advice and support for you.i am sorry you have psoriatic arthritis and I bet your not happy.I have psoriatic arthritis too and have had it 6 years now just before my 40th birthday but I got the arthritis before the psoriasis and then I only have a small amount of psoriasis so getting a diagnosis took years.having a crappy life changing condition is a lot to get your head around and I don't think I have truly done that yet.you have to handle it as best you can .you now have somewhere to come and talk about how you feel and Know we can understand some of what you are going through
    Bye for now
    Milly
  • Labooties
    Options
    Thanks so much for the reply. I am under rheumatology now which I know is a good thing. I hate the idea of something trying to limit me and hope that once I get my head around I can mentally fight it better. At the moment I suppose I feel a bit cheated. I also know that it could be so much worse so have to be thankful for that. Thanks for taking the time to reply : :D
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, I did it the wrong way round too, arthritis first then nine years later the odd bits of P. :roll: I began with the arthritis symptoms in my left knee aged 37, now here I am aged 53 with more affected joints (plus OA thrown in for good measure) and getting on with it as best as I can because there is not really any other way. If you are already under rheumatology (and taking some meds) then that is a good thing as I am sure that the earlier one starts the meds the better the prognosis may be. Everyone's arthritis is unique to them so no-one can say how 'limited' you may be but I think the limitation comes down to one's attitude. Arthritis doesn't define us, it may occasionally get the upper hand (and the only way to cope with that is to cede gracefully until it gets bored and sods off again) but apart from that we're the boss. Over time you will develop your own coping strategies and I hope we will be able to help with information and support. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Just to say welcome to the forum.....you have met some with Ps Arthur
    I cantreally help....I have OA and spinal problems
    You'll get plenty of help from here

Love
    Hileena
  • Tubby
    Tubby Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Welcome - this great place to come and be amongst people who are experiencing similar things to you and understand how you feel. I have PsA but I am in my mid forties. I still work full time and still lead a reasonably active life, even if it is at a much slower pace than previously! The label isn't all bad as sometimes it explains things to folks but if you don't want anyone to know on some occasions, don't tell 'em :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    It's a lot to get your head round at first. It almost certainly will limit your life to some extent but then all lives are limited by all sorts of things. Sometimes that can be good as it forces us to distinguish between what we really want out of life and the mere distractions. I've had RA over 50 years and I'm still enjoying life. Go for it!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Labooties, Welcome to Arthritis Care Forum, You did the right thing coming along and joining us! I'm 39 (eeekkk nearly 40! :shock: ) I was only diagnoised properly 7yrs ago and now another Rhummey has just in the last couple of months added another Arthritis to my diagnoisis! It is a shock at first but you need to remember though it may stop you doing some things these still a lot you can do and it may make you look at new things you never thought of doing before! Welcome Labooties again to Arthritis Care Forum and I look forward to reading some of your posts!
  • Labooties
    Options
    Aww thank you for the warm and optimistic replies. I find it is on my mind constantly since my hospital appointment but not feeling as low. I think the fact I forced myself to the gym this morning has been part of the tonic i needed, although I didn't think that at 6am! I think it has also caused me to think more about other aches and ailments I have had since having my son 19 mths. On reflection I don't think I have complained so much!! I got dreadful SPD during my pregnancy and carpal tunnel syndrome. I was shocked to hear from the rheumatologist that those with psoriasis have higher risk of SPD. So it was causing more of a nuisance than I truly knew. I'm sure thinking about is not entirely helpful either.

I suppose getting a balance and totally agree that focussing on what is a priority is the important thing. I have heard that arthritis can be less problematic during pregnancy which I'm happy to hear because I am broody! For this reason and just generally I wonder whether Chinese medicine would help. I certainly don't like the idea of possible side effects from the list of drugs described in the leaflets the doctor gave me.

Once again thank you for the support and warm welcome. It has helped more than I expected. :P