It's the little things that are hardest

Options
Christimay
Christimay Member Posts: 112
edited 29. Oct 2012, 05:28 in Living with Arthritis archive
I couldn't button up my little girls coat for school, she wanted her hair in a plait I couldn't manage so we just tried bobbles and that was just as bad my youngest son wanted beet root tonight with his supper and lucozade for a drink and I physically made my hand feel worse as a mam these are just every day actions but are so hard to do and sometimes just can't be done, but I constantly feel I am letting them down, they both asked for a pumpkin to put out at the door for Halloween lighten up but I told them we will get a plastic one instead, does anyone have any tips or guidance here.

Comments

• Nicchick
    Nicchick Member Posts: 191
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My 'little one' was 15 when I first became unable to do mum stuff, my heart goes out to all of you dealing with young children. I'm sorry I don't have any advice other than asking for help to do some things? It's taken me years to admit that I need help with some things.

Is there a friend or neighbor who could help before or after school? When my boy was young a group of us used to pool the children, helping each other out with all sorts of stuff. My folks were abroad so I had no family back-up at the time.

Hope someone comes along with some tips!

Nx
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm sorry mine were grown up before i was diagnosed.
    Is there anyone...neighbour or relative that could help?
    Check one of the sticky topics.....about how to do things and see if you can get any info from that

Love
    Hileena
  • Loulou11
    Loulou11 Member Posts: 86
    Options
    I used to do things with the kids but involve others to do the bits I found difficult. Why not have a few pals over and do some apple bobbing, which you can supervise and one of the other mums can cut out the pumpkin and then make soup for tea with rolls.

I got ever gadget I could get my hands on to make my life easier, and occupational therapist can help with this and also try giving you neighbours a knock for the odd bit of help (jar opening etc) .

Mostly don't despair your probably more upset about this than you kids xxxxx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options
    You are not letting them down, Christimay, but I do understand the feeling. My elder lad helped with the younger one as soon as he could crawl out of my reach. (He was 4 at the time.) I had to aim for clothes - all round - that were as easy as possible for me, or them, to manage and accept any help available. If the beetroot was just a jar of pickled beetroot, I have an electric jar opener. It cost £20 but is worth it. I also have a rubber grip thing for fruit juice cartons and I use a dessert spoon to lever up ring pulls. There are ways round things. As others have said, read the Simple Ideas....' thread and asked for an OT visit. Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright