How did you behave at school?

Options
joanlawson
joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
edited 11. Dec 2012, 18:33 in Community Chit-chat archive
Education Secretary Michael Gove has apologised to a teacher for his behaviour 30 years ago.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-20033832?oo=0

How well-behaved or otherwise were you at school :?:

Are there any teachers who you would apologise to :?:

I went through a rebellious phase when I was about 13/14, and I remember playing up in class quite a bit.
We had a history teacher who was very nice, but weak on discipline. In those days we used fountain pens which required refilling with ink, so in the history lessons I used to ask someone right at the back of the class to pass their ink bottle to me. As it was passed along, we used to slam it down hard on every desk, making a loud clatter to disrupt the lesson. The poor teacher would get very annoyed, but she never seemed able to stop us from tormenting her.

Eventually, I grew out of this rebellious phase ( although some people might dispute that fact :lol: )

When I became a teacher myself, I thought about that history teacher with far more sympathy and regret for my bad behaviour, so she would be the one I would apologise to.

Joan :D
c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    All I am willing to disclose is that, when the head said that next time one of us got reported we'd be expelled, I reformed - apart from smoking behind the hall, bunking off late afternoons and the odd snog in the school special.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    School, what's that? :shock: :? :o :?
    Is that the place all my friends used to go to during the week whilst I was hanging around with Hell's Angels smoking pot :? 8)
    I think I went there one day by mistake. It wasn't for me really.. Apparently I wasn't allowed to wear my leathers and denim cut off that was soaked in pituli oil.. How ridiculous lol

I was a reet bugger, apart from in primary school, I think I was a good boy then.. Haha
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Think mine would have to be to the head teacher after being hauled into the office for my skirt being too short, how dare he tell me what length of skirt I should wear, minute I got out of the office I folded over the waistband made it even shorter. :lol: :oops:
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I behaved but I was a lazy pupil. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    I was largely bored and therefore very naughty! That said, when I got to University, I found it all very interesting and reformed, a little late for the teachers who had to tolerate me for so long though. :oops:
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    I went to an all girls school, and was constantly being compared to my sister who had gone there before me, so I guess in a way I rebelled a bit, I wasn't so bad that I have a conscience though!

Numps x
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • fowls48
    fowls48 Member Posts: 1,357
    Options
    i Hated my school .

Full of bullies .Bad food and it smelt .
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I was always the goody two-shoes at school and that didn't do me any favours I was builled from the 1st year at school right through to college! Not just verbal bullying but physical. The worst being stabbed in left eye with pencil (1st school) and head smashed against desk (college). It didn't stop me from wanting to do well at school and I got the grades bar one I wanted at school and I got the higher grade than I aimed for at college. I wanted to show the bullies they couldn't ruin my life and other than Arther (who I treat as a bully!) they didn't!
  • georgie66
    georgie66 Member Posts: 403
    Options
    i was good in some classes that i was interested in
    others not so good and was constantly told off for giggling
    but on the whole was glad to leave and start work at 15yrs..
    georgie
  • Turbogran
    Turbogran Member Posts: 2,023
    Options
    I suppose i was much the same as georgie good in lesson i liked and not so in lesson i didn't and was glad to leave at 15. :)
    Stay positive always👍xx
  • valval
    valval Member Posts: 14,911
    Options
    well i worked out early on if i sat near front of class and kept quiet they would leave me alone so i was good girl if some what lazy
    val
  • joanlawson
    joanlawson Member Posts: 8,681
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies. I've enjoyed reading them.

The prize for being a rebel without a cause goes to Tony :!: :lol:
    c1b3ebebbad638aa28ad5ab6d40cfe9c.gif
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Can anyone beat this then?

My partner went to a private primary school (his father apparently grumbled about the fees but ...). However, one day my OH decided to teach the headteacher's daughter - who also went to the school - some facts of life behind the bikesheds (where else could it have been you ask?). I understand he was about 7 or 8 at the time.

Needless to say, he was caught - by the headteacher who was not very pleased - and expelled. However, whilst I believe he was punished by his father (as would have been expected then) his father was secretly relieved as my OH then went to a state-run primary and his father didn't have any fees to pay, thereby saving quite a bit of money.

As for myself, the worst I got up to was taking part in a sit-in at my secondary school. It was raining, and cold. The first time I was moved from the playground I went back to the classroom with loads of my fellow pupils who also didn't want to get any colder or wetter. Of course, some of the die-hards were there all afternoon ... From memory, I believe it was all because a pupil had been excluded for a couple of days and someone felt this was un-necessary.

Before you ask - no, my partner and I weren't at the same schools. Different areas of Kent (slightly) and he's a fair bit older than me.

Who'd have thought it, eh?

GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    :lol::lol: very, very badly Joan but no... I wouldn't appoligse to any of the teachers... indeed they were half the problem

Hope Tommy and woofer dog are both well, oh and you as well of course? Cris xx
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    skezier wrote:
    :lol::lol: very, very badly Joan but no... I wouldn't appoligse to any of the teachers... indeed they were half the problem

Hope Tommy and woofer dog are both well, oh and you as well of course? Cris xx

Now why am I not surprised about that Cris?

I went to a reunion a few years back and really hoped to tell my form teacher what a nice chap he was despite all the hassle our class gave him but got told his Son(born when he was our form tutor) had just committed suicide. I just feel so sad even now that the baby we congratulated him on, much to his surprise, had died in such circumstances.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Oh Elizabeth, how sad. I know that I was..well school and me did not mix. I was very bad. Not a bully but just generally bad for the teachers.

Our music teacher was the one that really stick in my memory. We were really awful to her.
    Karen xx
  • NinaKKang
    NinaKKang Member Posts: 663
    Options
    I was exceptionally well behaved at school, I loved it, was (and still am) a geek through and through. I was a member of the chess and computer clubs :-)

How things change!

Nxx
  • tkachev
    Options
    constable wrote:
    Oh Elizabeth, how sad. I know that I was..well school and me did not mix. I was very bad. Not a bully but just generally bad for the teachers.

Our music teacher was the one that really stick in my memory. We were really awful to her.

I can't believe that Karen!

Elizabeth x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Elizabeth I was thinking the same Karen being a naughty girl....she is lovely now ...just goes to show...and that is such a sad story..the poor man
    I was very quiet at school ..and I mean quiet ..I was so shy...and always scared of getting into trouble ..so I must have been a dream pupil...honest :)
    Love
    Barbara
  • tkachev
    Options
    barbara12 wrote:
    Elizabeth I was thinking the same Karen being a naughty girl....she is lovely now ...just goes to show...and that is such a sad story..the poor man
    I was very quiet at school ..and I mean quiet ..I was so shy...and always scared of getting into trouble ..so I must have been a dream pupil...honest :)

It is sad isn't it? I planned to ask him at the school reunion how his 'baby Son' was doing in life. When he was born our teacher hadn't told us he was going to be a Dad because he said he didn't think we'd be interested or care. I think he was surprised by our nice reaction.

E x

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • mig
    mig Member Posts: 7,154
    Options
    I was a good girl,just an average student but I was house captain and swim team leader.Mig
  • Boris125
    Boris125 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    I definitely loved school - sometimes I'd 'cheat' on analyze but most of the time I was a dilligent undergraduate that is intelligent dilligent, sometimes I'd fall short terribly - in mathematics and science but my intelligent techniques assisted me complete with difference still.
  • dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,931
    Options
    Hello Joan
    i was shy at school but i stole pencils or anything i liked to take home for sue to try as she could not go to school because she could'nt walk it happened so much they let her go there in her wheelchair.
    happy christmas to all your family and your friend and venus and tommy.
    take care
    joan xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • Colin1
    Colin1 Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    in my final year i attended school for 1 half day
    i hated it sagged bunked done whatever i could not to go
    got myself a little side job on the market school board man called whitey always chasing me lol, o happy days
    colin
    WHEN GOD GIVES YOU LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE