Ambridge

Options
ShulaArcher
ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
edited 3. Nov 2012, 14:58 in Community Chit-chat archive
Hi to all those of you who live in Ambridge!

Just wanted to see how many of us know and love that village in Borsetshire. I'm quite proud of the fact that I was born in the year Grace Archer died in the fire. Will be impressed if anybody knows that year without having to look it up!

For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about . . . BBC Radio 4, the world's longest running drama serial.

Shula

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,717
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Yup, I knew what you were talking about but that's about it for me. My sister's friend is an addict but I never listen to it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Shula
    My hubby never misses the Archers when he is driving, what I do know is that there is a Shula in it, the name has always fascinated me...must say Ambridge does sound lovely... :D
    Love
    Barbara
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I listen when I'm in the car. I hear that the Ambridge life will be spiced up, which is when I will stop listening, I can hear similar tales anywhere (Corrie/Stenders etc) but not life in the Archers.
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    :lol: I have been hooked on The Archers for quite a while now. Love it! Even listen to it all again on the omnibus on Sunday morning, whilst doing my stretching exercises, and hula hooping, just in case I missed a few bits. 8) In the week I am usually cooking and partaking in a glass of wine or similar whilst listening. Dinner is usually around 7.15 when it has finished. Rarely hubby has to listen to it if the meal is ready early but I try not to do that as he ain't that keen but tolerates it :wink:

My 33 year old daughter has become an avid listener too! :)

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I can hear Barwick Green as I type. :wink: For me the hey-day was in the days of Walter, Tom (and his mysterious wife Peg who never spoke (?)) now long long gone. Oh - and Nelson too! I haven't listened for some years now because I enjoy Radio 4 Extra with its repeats of The Goon Show, Yes Minister, Hhhhhhhancocks Half-hour and (my particular favourite) Round the Horne. I recognise your user name though - how's your twin? :wink: DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ShulaArcher
    Options
    Hello

Elna – very nice to hear from another Archers fan. My husband is now also an avid listener but when I used to listen with my son he found it "too disgusting" when we heard Jolene and Sid in the shower!

Tom Forrest and his wife, Pru, were great characters at one time. Pru was silent for many years but the last time she spoke it was Judi Dench who played her! I'll never forget old Walter Gabriel and his phrase "me old pal me old beauty".

DD - have you ever heard Ambridge Extra? It's a sister programme to The Archers but on 4Extra, although not on at the moment.

Shula
  • stickywicket
    Options
    dreamdaisy wrote:
    I can hear Barwick Green as I type. :wink:

Here's something I do know :) Barwick Green was written by Yorks composer Arthur Wood and takes its name from Barwick-in-Elmet, W. Leeds. It's part of a suite. The other parts are named for Bolton Abbey, Ilkley Moor and Knaresborough (I think). Memo to self. Find them and listen to them.
    Steven Wright
  • mellman01
    mellman01 Member Posts: 5,306
    Options
    Can only stand so much of it it’s a bit to PC for me and isn’t anything like the village I was born and raised in that’s for sure, in fact it’s nothing like the village I live in now either, the story lines are thin and to highly predicable most of the time, and why do all the younger actors sound like the the bald gay guy from little Britain for Gods sake?, no one I grew up with ever sounded like that, yeah but no but yeah Jazzer innit!. Wurzels me deareo yes inner citty ghetto chav never, ya no wot I mean innit?.
  • scribbler
    scribbler Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Hello Shula
    Nice to come across a fellow Archers Addict. Do you use the Discuss the Archers Message Board especially the section where listeners can invent their own storylines and parodies?
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Is there any connection between Ambridge and CAmbridge or is it just co-incidence?
    Steven Wright
  • ShulaArcher
    Options
    Hi Scribbler

I hadn't heard about the board where you can suggest storylines for the Archers – what a good idea. I once met two of the scriptwriters and suggested they bring back Richard Locke. If he ever reappears I'll be suspicious!

Sticky – I hadn't thought about Cambridge!

Shula