Diagnosed with possible Psoriatic Arthritis

BeyondTheLimits
BeyondTheLimits Member Posts: 9
I've had severe joint pain in my wrists and knee since my second child was born, accompanied by a major flare up of my psoriasis. My GP has diagnosed possible Psoriatic Arthritis, and referred me to see a dermatologist (apparently you need to see a dermatologist for this before a rheumatologist?) i've been warned there is a long wait and given naproxen to take daily for now. My GP said he is wary of officially diagnosing it himself because of the "hardcore" drugs that it will involve prescribing.

I struggle a lot with day to day tasks (with it affecting my wrists it is hard to wash my hair, wash me, dry and cook, and I rely on my husband doing near enough everything if he is around) so it has been suggested that I apply for DLA (I dont know anything about the benefits system myself), as without a disability register nowerdays, it is hard to "prove" you are disabled without this.

Do I have to have the official diagnosis (that could take quite a while) to apply for DLA? And what will claiming involve? If I need to, how I am supposed to prove that I'm in pain? And is there anything I can do to speed the process of diagnosis up? Is it worth doing it privately?

Comments

• dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Hello BTL, I am not from the Helpline, just a forum member. I too have PsA and claim DLA because my mobility is severely impaired (mine began in my knees, then spread to my ankles and toes) and it's now affecting my hands. I am sure the Helpline people will reply in due course but if you post again on the Living with Arthritis part of the forum more people will be able to reply. I wish you well. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • BeyondTheLimits
    BeyondTheLimits Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, i've copied my post over there too now :)
  • helpline_team
    helpline_team Posts: 3,464
    Hi BTL

Apologies for the delay in responding. It may be worth contacting the benefits advice line and explaining your situation that you are currently waiting for a diagnosis but you still need help with managing every day tasks like washing dressing etc.

You may also find it helpful to have a look at our fact sheet on DLA and other useful information on the reforms: http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/Search/search_results_page_view?SearchableText=dla

Information on PsA: http://www.papaa.org/

If you would like to talk things through please feel free to give us a call.

Best wishes

Simona