Scottish Humour

Options
villier
villier Member Posts: 4,426
edited 14. Nov 2012, 12:38 in Community Chit-chat archive
Dear Sir/madam/automated telephone answering service

Having spent the past twenty minutes waiting for someone at Leith police station to pick up a telephone I have decided to abandon the idea and try e-mailing you instead. Perhaps you would be so kind as to pass this message on to your colleagues in Leith by means of smoke signal, carrier pigeon or ouji board.

As I'm writing this e-mail there are eleven failed medical experiments (I think you call them youths) in West Cromwell Street which is just off Commercial Street in Leith. Six of them seem happy enough to play a game which involves kicking a football against an iron gate with the force of a meteorite. This causes an earth shattering CLANG! Which rings throughout the entire building. This game is now in it's third week and as I am unsure how the scoring system works, I have no idea if it will end any time soon.

The remaining five walking abortions are happily rummaging through several bags of rubbish and items of furniture that someone has so thoughtfully dumped beside the wheelie bins. One of them has found a saw and is setting about a discarded chair like a beaver on speed. I fear that it's only a matter of time before they turn their limited attention to the bottle of calor gas that is lying on it's side between the two bins. If they could be relied on to only blow their own arms and legs off then I would happily leave them to it. I would even go so far as to lend them the matches. Unfortunately they are far more likely to blow up half the street with them and I've just finished decorating the kitchen.

What I suggest is this. After replying to this e-mail with worthless assurances that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with, why not leave it until the one night of the year (probably bath night) when there are no mutants around then drive up the street in a panda car before doing a three point turn and disappearing again. This will of course serve no other purpose than to remind us what policemen actually look like.

I trust that when I take a claw-hammer to the skull of one of these throwbacks you'll do me the same courtesy of giving me a four month head start before coming to arrest me.

I remain sir, your obedient servant
Graeme McLeish

Mr McLeish

I have read your e-mail and understand you frustration at the problems caused by youth playing in the area and the problems you have encountered in trying to contact the police. As the Community Beat Officer for your street I would like to extend an offer of discussing the matter fully with you. Should you wish to discuss the matter, please provide contact details (address / telephone number) and when may be suitable.

Regards
PC 387
Community Beat Officer

Dear PC 387

First of all I would like to thank you for the speedy response to my original e-mail. 16 hours and 38 minutes must be a personal record for Leith Police station and rest assured that I will forward these details to Norris McWhirter for inclusion in his next book.

Secondly I was delighted to hear that our street has it's own community beat officer. May I be the first to congratulate you on your covert skills. In the five or so years I have lived in West Cromwell Street, I have never seen you. Do you hide up a tree or have you gone deep undercover and infiltrated the gang itself? Are you the one with the acne and the moustache on his forehead or the one with a chin like a wash hand basin? It's surely only a matter of time before you are head-hunted by MI5.

Should you wish to discuss these matters further you should feel free to contact me on 557 0890 If after 25 minutes I have still failed to answer, I'll buy you a large one in the Compass Bar.

Regards
Graeme McLeish

P.S If you think that this is sarcasm, think yourself lucky that you don't work for the cleansing department
Smile a while and while you smile
smile another smile and soon there
will be miles and miles of smiles
just because you smiled I wish your
day is full of Smiles

Comments

• marrianne
    marrianne Member Posts: 1,161
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    :lol::lol::lol: Wonderful , Spot on to .we are being asked by our council who we want to oversee our local constabulary now oh for goodness sake ...just get and do your job boys in blue Marrianne :)
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Good grief! Is that for real? :shock: Mind you, Mr G McLeish has a good turn of phrase! DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I, too, was wondering if it was real. I'm not sure who I'd be more scared of - the youths or Mr McLeish. I won't be going to Leith again :shock:
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    Options
    It's supposed to be real :roll:
    day is full of Smiles
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Villier...you have no chance in winter...if its anything like here they stay nice and warm in there little stations...saying that we dont see them in summer :? ...hope you get it sorted but forgive me for not holding my breath xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • wall1409
    wall1409 Member Posts: 294
    Options
    Love it, was dreading work today but this really cheered me up
  • skezier
    skezier Member Posts: 11,333
    Options
    Oh Villier

It made me smile and what a way with words he has :wink: I loved the claw hammer bit and yep been there and relived the hammer wasn't :lol::lol: Cris x
  • ketysmith
    ketysmith Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Really great, very fun!!!! xixixi :D
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Tody wrote:
    I can't see how this is Scottish humour - it's too long to be a joke.
    In order to be a joke it has to be short, concise and precisely to the point.

I think this is some sort of derision not humour and it's targeting the Scottish people.

No-one claimed it was a joke, Tody, though joke's can be long. (Have you never heard of a musical joke?) It is humour and humour comes in lots of different lengths and types.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    Options
    thanks sticky

tody i am scottish and this is my humour
    day is full of Smiles