If your Partner/Friend/Relative cares for you .....

Options
Wonkylegs
Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
edited 19. Nov 2012, 11:55 in Living with Arthritis archive
..... you might find some of our recent discoveries helpful.

Mr Wonky has been doing more and more to help me over the past 18 months, and this has been tough for the both of us in different ways.

Now we've got help we didn't really know was out there to ask for :D

This website has loads of info about the role of a carer, and there is help and advice for those who care for those of us who struggle.

http://www.carersuk.org/

Through that website I discovered that our local council has a 'Carer's support service' and they came this week to make an assessment.
obviously there will be different help in different areas, so check out your council via carersuk and you might get help you didn't know was there for you!

So far it's cost us two phone calls, and gained us a support network, respite help, support for Mr Wonky so he stays as well as possible, and lots more that I can't remember!!!

It really has surprised us and I thought there are plenty of people on here who, like us, might not know what is out there for the asking.

Hope this helps someone.

WOnky

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Thanks, Wonky. Mr SW does 'care' for me, in a careless sort of way :wink: . Seriously, I kind of did know about this as a friend of ours was involved with the Liverpool branch when caring for his late wife and he found it very supportive although he, himself was there to support others. Well worth investigating.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Wonky! :) Hello, it's lovely to see your name on here again and I am so pleased to read that you and he will be getting some help, hopefully that will make matters a deal easier for you both. Asking for the help that is there is sometimes very difficult to do so well done to the Wonkies. Mr DD and me are heading into the unknown next week as he will be my full-time carer while I recuperate from double carpal tunnel surgery - gulp. I send you both my regards and I hope you are as well as you can be. ((())) DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Just lost my reply there Wonky :oops:

grrr!!!

Never mind

It's lovely to see you posting and hope that you are doing ok?

I take it you are talking not only about support groups, but a carer's legal right to a Social Services assessment?? A very good point and good idea to make sure we DO all know.

Hope Longlegs and littlegs are both well too

Love

Toni xxx
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Gentle hugs to you, Wonky. It seems a very long time ago since our paths crossed ;)

Love
    Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello wonky :) Hope you're doing well.

Thank you for sharing.

In addition to Toni's little nugget about carers having a right to have their own, any carer can have an assessment even if their cared for person (for lack of better term!) does not want one for themselves and/or does not access any sort of support.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Wonky
    Long time no hear :wink: Hope things are OK'sh with you.
    Thanks for posting that link

Love
    Hileena
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi Wonky

Thanks for that. I care for my Hubby and last year had my THR, now finding things getting harder as the arthur is spreading in me. We have two children, well, young teenages now. And I am really struggling at times, well, most times now. So, shall take a look at the carers website. Thankyou again. It's something that usually your left in the dark about isn't it.

Glad that you and yours are getting help now.
    Karen xx
  • Wonkylegs
    Wonkylegs Member Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Hi there and thanks for all the replies :D

Toni and Starburst both hit the nail on the head with their info.

Reading back I can see that I didn't say that it was Mr W who was assessed as a carer, and the support that we have been given for him is to make sure that he can keep well, but also that if anything happens to him there is something in place to help out with me!

Quite separate from that is an assessment that I can apparently apply for (if it hasn't already been done by my hospital OT - we're not sure just now it all got rather muddled in my addled brain) which would be an assessment of Care needs for me which would be done by the Adult Care Services part of local council Social Services - I think this is what you meant Toni?

I wasn't sugggesting the need to join the carer's uk network (I haven't yet) just that the info on there was quite helpful in working out what help is out there, and what we might be able to ask for.

It seems rather a muddle of different people who have to get involved, but it's worth it in the end, belive me :wink:

hugs
    Wonky

PS - not sure how to answer the 'how are you?' questions as that could get rather long and complicated :? .......... though I will try as it means a lot that you have asked .......... summing it up I'd say I was wonkier than before, but not totally clapped out, and currently held together by a network of supportive people who are trying to fend off the evil Arthur and his side-kick fibro (including new Biologic infusion starting Wednesday), not to mention getting used to having Mr Wonky at home all day every day having himself become rather wonky of late, and due to his long-standing employers deciding they can dispense with his services :roll:

Wonky xxxxx

PPS - littlelegs is fine, though feeling her age a bit, and says she has never needed her nurses outfit so much!