Remission (drug induced)

Options
Mat48
Mat48 Member Posts: 1,075
edited 19. Nov 2012, 04:33 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hello. I haven't been here for a while but that's just because life's been treating me well and I haven't wanted boast - nor to count my chickens. I have been on injectable MTX for 7 weeks now and still on Hydroxichloraquine (HXQ - is that the abreviation?). Both have taken a while to get me stable but at last my ESR is down to 30 and seems to have settled there and I have virtually no pain at all now.

I really just wanting to say all this for the sake of any newbies. I think it's important to speak sometimes when things are going well too. After all it may not last so I'm seizing the moment to say that for some very fortunate people there is a life after a diagnosis of inflammatory arthritis - albeit drug induced usually.

I did read somewhere that injectable MTX has been trialed clinically and found to be significantly more effective than the oral version - anyone else found that it's made a huge difference to them too?

Also on the work and family front - middle son applying for uni - presently partying downstairs by the fire with a bunch of friends and our youngest son all laughing and playing music - I will miss this when they are all gone I admit. We (OH and I work together as artists) have just started a new public art commission and just finished another so life is busy and a bit stressful, but in a good way.

I've been trawling a little on here tonight and trying to catch up on how everyone is doing. How are you all?
If you get lemons, make lemonade

Comments

• deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Mat...nice to hear from you and so glad that things are settling down nicely. I am still on the journey of getting a diagnosis but it is very encouraging to know that, with the proper care and treatment, we can maybe look forward to getting back to some sort of normality even if it maybe only for a while.

Take care Dee x
  • Mat48
    Options
    Thanks Dee - glad if I've encouraged you a little. I hope that you get the diagnosis and treatment that you need in order to get to a similar place to mine and wish you much luck. Mat x
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Mat48 wrote:
    Hello. I haven't been here for a while but that's just because life's been treating me well and I haven't wanted boast - nor to count my chickens. I really just wanting to say all this for the sake of any newbies. I think it's important to speak sometimes when things are going well too. After all it may not last so I'm seizing the moment to say that for some very fortunate people there is a life after a diagnosis of inflammatory arthritis - albeit drug induced usually.

Elna likes this. :D:D Thank you for sharing your good news. It is a joy to read and I sincerely hope that life continues well for you for a very long time. :D
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Mat48
    Options
    Thanks Elna - glad I've brought some joy. It's important sometimes in these forums where pain and uncertainty rule the roost most of the time. Take care. Mx
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Hello Mat. It's lovely to see you and even better given the purpose of your visit. I'm very pleased indeed that you are in remission. I do remember how anxious you were when you first arrived and also the difficulties you've face owing to having to have consultations by skype.

I also like your realistic attitude that 'it might not last'. That is true but you are clearly making the most of your holiday from arthritis and I hope it continues for a long time.

Thanks for posting. Good news is always welcome and necessary as, on a forum like this, the picture can seem unnecessarily bleak. You have redressed the balance a little. Thanks and good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    I totally agree, Mat. Enjoy your weekend. :D I am going to make a large quantity of butternut squash soup now as I found some that are stored in the shed (homegrown) just showing signs of going a little bad in places. I love this soup. :D

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • Mat48
    Options
    I love the soup too but am seriously impressed that you've grown your own squashes Elna! Yes SW I'm learning to live for the moment (well sort of - nothing would ever get done if we did that fully of course!) but in health terms it seems the way to be when things are good. Mat x
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Its always lovely to read of improvements in health. You've had a taste of the nasty stuff so it will possibly make you value the good times with loved ones much more.

Good luck with the art. I love drawing and painting and find it truly relaxing although if its your livelihood it will be a bit more stressful I'm sure.

Hope it continues,

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Mat48
    Options
    Oh that's good Elizabeth - I'm glad I posted now - I was a bit unsure but then I thought that if no-one who feels much better because of their medication (and lifestyle adjustments such as exercise and diet) ever comes back on here it will be a more scary experience - especially for people newly diagnosed with conditions like RA where the drug regime is pretty strong stuff?

Yes public art is a very different ballgame to studio art or making for pleasure/ therapy. There are always lots of groups and individuals with high expectations to try and engage, inspire and satisfy and if things go wrong then the pressure is really on the artist - who has received public (or in our case charitable) funding for the project. It's quite scary actually :!: But when it's all complete and it has paid for some studio time it's usually worth all the stress on route - and the positive feedback afterwards is always very gratifying as well. Mat x
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Thank you Mat for posting that, it shows there is a light at the end of the tunnel so people can feel positive (me included in that list!) when things are bad. Glad your making the most of it and enjoying family time, may it carry on for you. :D
  • tillytop
    tillytop Member Posts: 3,460
    Options
    Hello Mat

I am so, so pleased about your positive news - and it really is lovely to have some good news on the forum. I understand why people worry about posting when things are going well for them, but I am so glad you did because posts like yours will give much encouragement to anyone who is new to RA and the meds.

I have everything crossed for you that things continue to improve.

Love Tillyxxx
  • Mat48
    Options
    Cheers Tilly! Mat :)
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    Options
    Hi Mat

lovely to see you and you hrar your lovely news :D

what a lot is happening in your life too. Very similar to mine - I have two applying to Universities ATM (personal statements all over the place; various draughts :roll: Have had 6 'extras' today :roll:

Sure you can relate to it.

Youngest busy doing hair and make-up :lol:

Work-experience next year for her. We WILL miss them when they leave, but we didn't have them to keep - only on loan :?

Keep on keeping well

love

Toni xxx
  • Mat48
    Options
    Heck yeah it's weird when you end up helping your children to leave isn't it re uni statements. I'd not be so philosophical if both were off though - still got the 15 year old but even he seems to be becoming scarilly mature!

I only have sons so make up etc of less interest although youngest at least loves art and shows talent in that direction unlike the other two!

Everything is quite rosy as I said but one thing that bugs me a lot still is a foul taste in my mouth after taking this week's injection of MTX. It went away when I switched to injectable 7 weeks ago. I was so chuffed when my taste buds returned to normal again so am a bit fed up about having a sewer mouth again, but I guess you win some and you lose them - and it's only leaving a sour taste in my mouth - what's that compared to other stuff I know, I know.. Mat x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    That's great to hear hun. . I'm very pleased for ya:D
    And thank you for thinking of others.

I hope this remission is never ending Xx

PS the best of luck with the artwork. Will you be able/willing to add a photo or two? ?

:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Mat48
    Options
    Maybe I will - only if the outcome is up to scratch though Tony! Take care now.
    Mat xxx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I'm embarrassed - I thought I'd replied to this but find I haven't. :oops: I am sorry and I too am pleased you posted because it does show people who may be new to this that the meds can be effective and it's worth battling on to find the ones that work. Good luck Mat, I hope this remission continues. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • Mat48
    Options
    Hey me too DD - and I feel rather humbled even getting a response from you in the face of what lies around the corner later this week re your op. Good luck count me in for surgical gown pocket duties please. Mat x