I think I may have Arthritis?

Options
packagebuilder
packagebuilder Member Posts: 3
edited 17. Nov 2012, 13:08 in Young people's community
Hello everyone.

I am here to seek to experiences plus and I think I've have arthritis, yes I know its no a replacemwnt for GP advice, but it more of a extra support on the issue. I know you many of heard the same thing over & over again.

I first say I am 21, male

My mother had rheumatoid arthritis, and passed on at the age of 35, and was wheelchair bonded.

But this year I've experience painful ache in my hip, but it comes and goes. But something I can walk 100m and my hip be ache & pain and warm too.

I can also sit on the edge of my bed and rotate my leg and hear grinding noise from my hip joint but if I do this afew time my whole hip that side aches!

I can still do everyday things fine, I can jump up & down the stair etc! But it keeps changing, one month I am fine, then weeks later it I find it annoying!

Is there anything wrong with me, I do wish to waste doctors time over aches, but it one of those things I got to treat early or I be worse off if I leave it or ingore the problem.

I think yes I am young there still alot of stigma with Arthritis in the young.

I think because my mother had it, and the worry is doing me more harm the aches themselves....

any help would be greatful! :)

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello packagebuilder. It's good to meet you.

How very sad that your mother died so young! It must have been very hard for you.

As you so rightly say, we are not medics and we can't diagnose people. All that I can tell you for sure is that there is a genetic component to the auto-immune kinds of arthritis but it's not straightforward ie I have RA but both my adult sons are perfectly OK.

The other thing I know is that RA usually (but not always) starts in the smaller joints eg fingers rather than a hip.

You may find some of Arthritis Care's booklets useful (See the top of the page - Publications and Resources). You can download them. However, there is no substitute for a proper medical diagnosis and I think it would be a good idea to get one. If it turned out to be osteo arthritis, there is little to be done other than exercise and pain relief. However, if it is rheumatoid you will need proper medication to hold it at bay and the sooner the better.

With a diagnosis, at least you will know for sure what you are dealing with or, maybe, not. I hope it is nothing significant but I do think you should get it checked out.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello, it's nice to meet you and I hope we can help. Given the family history of arthritis I think it would be very sensible for you to go and see your GP and tell him / her everything you told us. I won't be wasting their time but you need to have your mind put at rest, yes? Please let us know how you get on. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • packagebuilder
    packagebuilder Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks you everyone! :D

Lets hope I can still keeping ride my motorcycle for the time being. :P