'm getting tired of this

Options
jenles
jenles Member Posts: 17
edited 18. Nov 2012, 15:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
I have been in severe pain for approx 16 years, with short periods with less pain. During that time I have had 2 major ops on my spine. I now have some form of inflammatory arthritis (at the last count!)
However they keep changing their minds about what's wrong with me and it usually finishes up with them saying 'there's nothing we can treat' and referring me back to the pain clinic.
It is a known fact that I have degenerative spinal disease but there's so much pain virtually every joint in my body. I am finding it increasingly difficult to cope with the pain despite all the techniques for dealing with it. My husband does the supermarket shop, the hoovering and at least half of the cooking which, while it may sound good, leaves me feeling redundant.
OK. Moan over!

Comments

• ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello

I expect writing it down was a bit of help! So sorry to hear about how you're feeling. Have you tried a Challenging Pain course, run by Arthritis Care? The one I went to in August has made a significant impact on my life, even though my pain is worse! Would really recommend investigating this.

Shula
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello jenies, it's nice to see you on this part of the forum. I emapthise completely, I've had a rough day with pain etc and we have friends coming round to dinner. I've tackled the domestic side of things a little at a time but my husband did the weekly shop early this morning and has done all the cooking. I am determined to do all the washing up though, simply to feel of some use. It's a difficult line to tread, isn't it? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    That must be very frustrating, jenles. I think we'd all like to have something that could be treated and which would then go away :roll: Alas, it's not so.

At least if you have an inflammatory form of arthritis they should be able to give you some meds to help control it. However, this will do nothing for the rest of it.

My husband does quite a lot round the house too. It's frustrating but i think it's just a matter of picking up the slack where we can to make things as easy as possible for them and feel we're pulling our weight as best we can. Can you do all the financial stuff - bill paying, checking bank statements etc? Also anything else that can be done via the internet? Some tasks can be redistributed. However, always measure effort rather than achievement. He will apparently achieve more in less time than you but, if you've put in the equivalent effort, be satisfied.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    It is so frustrating isnt it ....but as you've just heard....most of our husbands seem to do a lot more than us.
    I have Osteoarthritis in hps, ankle, neck and lower back. Kypho scoliosis and "idiopathic degenerative spinal stenosis" [along with a few other things] :wink:
    My husband does the weekly shop because I am not suppused to carry things. He does anything that involvees a sweeping type movement because that really sets me back.
    I've been on a Challenging Arthritis course...they are good but I still hurt :lol:
    I've been an avon representative for 33 years. Peter took nothing to do with it but now that I cant carry things....he does a lot of it with me. We are both retired so that helps. I've changed it from doing territory {house after house} to "friends and family" very loose term. I drive around to various people and deliver their books, or collect their books.....any walking and carry to be done Peter does it. I do most of the computer work. We both benefit from the money. :wink:
    So it is just a matter of redistributing tasks. I do as much as I can without really hurting myself and feel I'm very lucky to have a husband that helps out.
    Love
    Hileena
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello jenies, how are you feeling today? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi jenles
    And welcome to the forum, I can feel your frustration, and do understand some of the pain you are in, I am at present trying to get something done about the pain in my back,please dont apologize for the moan thats what we are here for to support one another xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi there

I totally understand the frustration of continual pain. It does really get you down I know. Also, my Hubby has had various ops on his back, the last being an implant in his back. He is the same as you, neverending pain (has Oa and ra as well). And this last op has not worked for him. They have now told him there is nothing else can be done.

Until 2-3 years ago, I was the one who did everything but of course now with arthur cropping up everywhere I am getting less a help to him now. Really just to say, there will always be someone on here who will be able to appreciate your feelings.

Putting it into words do give a little relief, but knowing that there are people here that will listen makes a difference.

I do hope that they can get you sorted out and I am sending you big hugs of comfort. Try and keep your pecker up.
    Karen xx