Why don't clothes shops cater for people like me?

Options
knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 19. Nov 2012, 10:30 in Community Chit-chat archive
Since my not very successful THR in 2010, I haven't been clothes shopping and most of what I wear now is bought on line. But, I am trying to find a floaty, smart long line top for a joint 50th birthday party which falls between Christmas and New Year at a smart golf club. Have just packaged up another four tops which I ordered on line which just don't look right on me.
I could do the round of the High Street shops if I took my trolley, but I find the passageways between racks is just not wide enough and it would be lovely to sit on a comfortable chair when needing a rest. I think every High Street should have a shop specifically for people of all ages with mobility problems where they can feel comfortable, unrushed and with changing rooms large enough to get a trolley or wheelchair in.

Right, I've had my rant of the day. Lovely and sunny here today in Essex.
Have a good day everyone.

Janet xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,714
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I've bought mostly online for years. I find our M&S not too bad for space and, for something special, you might find someone locally who makes things to order.

I think your idea of a shop, wonderful though it sounds, is also impractical. Who is going to subsidise it? Or will the 'unproductive' space given over to seating, larger changing rooms and wider aisles simply be reflected in higher prices? We have a very small 'fashion' shop in our High St. No room to swing a cat but they'll always let you bring stuff back.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,427
    Options
    Hi Janet

Hope you feel better now you have vented your spleen :wink:

I wonder if the need for a sit-down is part of the reason for all these super-expensive coffee shops??

I myself went 'shopping' in the community yesterday (don't worry husband there to ensure i didn't get into trouble), and it was exhausting!!!

g100.gif
    Bought NOWT either :(

Love

Toni xxx
  • Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    Options
    My main gripe about clothes shops, is the fact the mirrors always make me look short, and decidedly plump :shock: That cant be right, can it? :lol:
  • jillyb1
    jillyb1 Member Posts: 1,725
    Options
    Agree , Janet , I don't do shops these days . I also found Marks the easiest as they have a changing room big enough for a wheelchair which also has support bars to aid you ; my problem is that hubby is my full time carer and some of the branches will not allow him in to assist me . I shop on line now . Jillyb
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    I agree Marks is okayish, but the queue in our local one for the changing room always snakes amongst the aisles and I don't like buying their clothes without trying them on first as the sizing always seems to be a bit odd on me (or perhaps I'm an odd size) :roll: .

The best shopping experience I had was when I was looking for a smart outfit for our son's graduation and I hadn't got a clue what to wear. I took advantage of a departmental store's personal shopper experience and it was wonderful. I was taken to a comfortable room where I was offered wine, tea, chocolates and biscuits, two assistants measured me and ten minutes later arrived with armfuls of clothes, even down to underwear. This service was free of charge and for a couple of hours I felt like royalty.

Janet x
  • gilly1957
    gilly1957 Member Posts: 212
    Options
    Hi have you got an Evans near you, they cater for size 14 plus and there

changing rooms are large and always have chairs in so you can sit down, I

always find the staff helpful to.

Good luck with your search
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Hello Knuckleduster, I think you just answered your own question there! This is a special event so why not try the personal shopper again? I still enjoy shopping for clothes but I pick my time, usually a working-week morning; Mondays are especially good. I take my rollator so that I always have a seat and I find that the bigger chain stores usually have a changing room for the disabled. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • knuckleduster
    Options
    Sadly DD the store in question does not offer the personal shopper service any more. Shame, I thought it was marvellous.

Thinking of you and hope all goes well with the op.

Janet xx
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    Oh blast it, that's that plan blown out of the water! I know that large stores offer these services - is there any way you could get to one? Our Debenhams has a personal shopper service - I may give it a whirl after reading of your experience. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben