Nightmares! Help!

Options
ShulaArcher
ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
edited 20. Nov 2012, 12:20 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi everyone

Is it just me? I've always been inclined to have dreams, but increasingly I'm having really bad nightmares. The other night it involved Michael Gove sitting in my kitchen! Yikes! I desperately need a night of restorative sleep. Wondering if starting on Hydroxychloroquine has led to the increasing nightmares? Any ideas?

Shula

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have had some terrible dreams on various meds. Can't remember which ones in particular but I had real night terrors on one of them.
    Could have been tramadol.
    Now I just have weird dreams. Very realistic but mighty strange lol

Hope you have nicer dreams tonight :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • cherrybim
    cherrybim Member Posts: 334
    Options
    Tramadol certainly gives me the heebie jeebies. I prefer the pain, lol
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    I've found that if I take my cocos after 4am then I am guaranteed weird and not-so-wonderful dreams so now I won't no matter how lousy the pain. I take two at about 5pm then a further two anywhere between midnight and 3am. So far, so good. It could be the hydroxy - does it mention disturbed sleep on the leaflet? I've never taken it so I don't know if could be the culprit or not and anyhoo we all react differently to the same meds. DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • ShulaArcher
    Options
    Thanks for comments so far. Just read through the info about my meds: Amitriptyline (which I've been on for about 4 years) has a side effect of "dream and sleep disturbance" but, if it's that, then why have the nightmares been so much worse recently? Hydroxychloroquine doesn't list problems with sleep, which is surprising as it seems to be about the only potential side effect it doesn't claim to have.

Right now, I'm inclined to stop the Amitriptyline, after checking this with my GP, but I'm specifically taking it for help with muscle relaxation and, therefore, sleep (for my fibromyalgia).
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Hi Shula
    I have never taken it , I have just googled it and it lists nightmares as one of the side effects............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Shula :)

As Villier says, I am afraid that on googling, nightmares and "funny" dreams are listed as a possible side effect from the med Hydroxychloroquine.

It is suggested one takes the medication earlier if this is the case .....

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I've never had this problem with hydroxy but I always take mine at breakfast. In the days when I took two a day, I took the other around 6-7pm.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    I had odd dreams on ami - maybe there is an interaction and the two together has caused it? Sometimes a side effect can be increased by anouther drug. I miss the deep sleep from ami, wish I was still on it!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Shula
    I do feel for you, I have had quite a few months of this...some nights im scared of gong to sleep :shock: I blame the amy's but I suppose most drugs can mess with your sleep...hope you start to have good dreams very soon xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • ShulaArcher
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone. A lot of food for thought. I'm having a bath before bedtime tonight, Horlicks (as recommended by my Rheumatologist) and will hope for a quiet night.

Shula
  • dreamdaisy
    dreamdaisy Member Posts: 31,520
    Options
    And I hope that quiet night materialises for you. You already have enough on your plate, yes? DD
    Have you got the despatches? No, I always walk like this. Eddie Braben
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    coco's give me really odd dreams-sometimes scary, always feel very real, and sometimes they wake me with a real pounding heart- but even that's better than the relentless pain that fills your consciousness.

Hope you find a solution and get some quality sleep soon.

Deb x
  • howellandrew
    howellandrew Member Posts: 15
    Options
    I had a bad dreams last night and suddenly I woke up and saw nothing around me. It just a nightmare. At that time i was very scary. :shock:
  • ShulaArcher
    Options
    Hi everyone

Thanks for all your comments. Had a quieter night last night. Still not "restorative" sleep, but no visit from Michael Gove or other guests! As advised, will take my 2nd dose of Hydroxy earlier today. I found the bath very relaxing, but it's years since I was last in a bath (usually shower, before you start thinking I'm not nice to be near!) and it was a bit of a challenge getting in and out. My creaky knees are worse than I thought.

Shula
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    That's great Shula, hopefully taking your meds earlier will also help the situation, here's hoping you get a dream free sleep tonight........Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles