osteoarthritis

Options
lifesupsanddowns
lifesupsanddowns Member Posts: 21
edited 2. Feb 2013, 14:41 in Living with Arthritis archive
hi all. just asking for opinions please, had a bilateral arthroscopy last week on my knees.

All going well had a major clean up and they repaired the tears.

They have found out i have grade 4 in my right knee and grade 3 in my left. Apparently the consultant will discuss my options in clinic in 6 weeks time. does any know what those options may be.

thank you

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,483
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi lifesupsandowns

Well done for getting through the op.

I do hope that the clean up they have done is enough to ease your knees for you by the time you get to the 6 week appointment.

Some folk do find that this is enough I really hope you are one of them, but if not there will be a 'plan B'

Are you worried they may be considering a partial or total knee replacement?? At the end of the day the final decision will probably rest with you :? Fingers crossed that once you've recovered you feel much better - if not there will be time for you to discuss their suggestion I'm sure.

I hope someone happens along soon who knows more than I do :oops: .

Love and luck

Toni xxx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    I am with Toni, my hubby had a mend and a clean out on his knee, around 2 years ago now...and fingers crossed he is fine....when you go back take a list of questions with you, and dont forget to ask for a copy of any letters they send to your GP..I do wish you well with it all xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • lifesupsanddowns
    Options
    thank you for your replies.

i have had bad knees since i was 7 and was told when i was 25 that i would need new knees but i was too young.

this is my 4th arthroscopy on each knee, i am hoping that it will give some much needed relief from the pain at least for a few months. it has taken me 3 years to get them to do this operation.

Part of me would love the replacements to get rid of the pain but my age is always the consultants worry.

i have OA in my big toes,knees,hips,back shoulders and i think it starting in my hands.

i go to the podiatry department next week for new insoles so that should relieve some pressure of my feet.

I just dont want to spend years in more pain than i need to be.

Thank you once again
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I, too, hope it will help. That's a lot of arthroscopies :o Did the others help? I presume so, otherwise you wouldn't have wanted these last ones.

I think Toni said it all. They may well be feeling that, if this doesn't help, new ones are the other possibility. If so, I don't see why your age should count against you. I had my first two TKRs aged 35 and still have one of them 31 years later. (I do look after them well, though :wink: )

I hope the arthroscopies and the insoles both help but, if not, I hope they offer you new knees.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lifesupsanddowns
    Options
    thank you stickywicket. yes a lot of arthroscopies on top of other major surgery which i had at age 13. i cant remember what the big ops were called but i know i was in hospital weeks, on complete bedrest and non weight bearing for 6 mths. i also know i had screws put in and these had to be removed a year later.

the arthroscopies have always helped in the past for a short period of time but the arthritis was never at this stage. the magic age for knee replacement at my health authority is 60, but i suppose if there is no other option then they would have to do them.

Ive had the insoles before but to be honest i didnt get on with them, they hurt my knees whilst wearing them but i will persevere with them this time.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Insoles can hurt stuff higher up at first as everything inside realigns. Do you do any knee strengthening exercises? They might help. I hope you have someone fighting your corner re the TKRs. The determining factor should be need, not age. Admittedly, you would probably need more later on and that's a bigger op but, if you've exhausted every other possibility then only TKRs remain.
    Steven Wright
  • lifesupsanddowns
    Options
    thank you once again stickywicket.

yes i agree it should be need not age for the TKR. i do fight my own corner but its like banging your head on a brick wall.

All they seem to do with me is up painkillers, give advice about not walking up and down stairs too often, rest when needed. Physio i have when required but they never know what to do with me, as i have OA in many places what they would do for 1 joint hurts another so we get on a viscous cycle.

The only other thing they have offered me in the past was to fuse both knees to delay the damage. i refused that operation as i had 3 small children at the time.

the consultant im under now seems a bit more helpful ie he did the arthroscopies where other consultants have refused due to the small time frame that they give relieve for. So i live in hope that this one will do the TKR when needed and not just brush me aside.
  • lifesupsanddowns
    Options
    hello
    everyone. UPDATE:

yesterday i had my post op consultation. my left knee has settled a bit so thats not so bad, but my right knee lets put it this way. somedays i would quite happily chop it off due to the pain.

Anyhow the consultant agrees that yes knee replacements would normally be offered but because of my age and the fact that i have OA in multiple joints he is reluctant to do them.

The OA in both knees is confined to the inside of the joints due to the alignment of my joints.
    So for now he wants me to wear knee braces (i did pull a face) he wants me to wear them all the time to help alleviate the pain, but has agreed that aslong as i wear them 50% of the time that should still help.
    Under no circumstances am i to wear the insoles that were to help th OA in my feet, as this will put additional pressure on my joints.

In the meantime he is ordering a ct scan so h can check the alignment of my joints and talk to another surgeon as he feels that an OSTEOTOMY on both my knees may be an option. if it is an option he would prefer me to have this done on both my knees as that will bide more time before the knee replacements.

If however this operation is not an option he wants me to think hard of the ramifications of having knee replacements at my young age.

does anyone have any knowledge of this operation and can advise.

thank you
  • stickywicket
    Options
    I'm sorry, I don't know anything about osteotomies but this man seems to be taking time and thought about what will help you most and that has to be good.

If, by 'knee brace', he means a small caliper that fits into your shoe and fastens under the knee, I wore one for years and it did help a lot.
    Steven Wright
  • lifesupsanddowns
    Options
    thank you stickywicket.

i not sure if they will go as far down as my ankle. the appliance lady only measured from my thighs to my mid shin, so i dont think they will go into my shoes.

yes the doctor does seem to be thinking ahead an not just for now, which can only be a good thing. i have read up on osteotomies and it is quite a big operation but if feasible one i would possibly agree too.

I have a few concerns as its non weight bearing for 6 weeks, will my other leg be able to take that kind of pressure and i wouldnt be able to use crutches for non weight bearing as i have issues with my hands, shoulders and neck. so that could be a massive problem.

I am also a single parent to 3 teenagers who although will be here in the evenings are at school,college in the daytime. I only have a bath upstairs and no walk in shower, so these things will have to be addressed.
  • stickywicket
    Options
    Ah, more of a good quality knee support than a caliper. I hope it helps. As for the op and non-weight-bearing - if you talk it over with an Occupational Therapist I'm sure they'd understand what you could and couldn't do, and, with luck, have a solution :)
    Steven Wright
  • stralachlan
    stralachlan Member Posts: 40
    Options
    Sorry, I havent been on here for a while and I've only just seen this thread. I had an osteotomy back in 2010, you might want to have a read of this thread

http://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/forums/living-with-arthritis-forum-f8/high-tibial-osteotomy-t18749.html

I know someone who had both knees done at the same time, and she wouldnt recommend that approach!
  • freesia
    freesia Member Posts: 409
    Options
    Hi there...

How old are you....? (I hope you don't mind me asking)

I had 2 major arthroscopies a year ago... keyhole - that's a laugh massive scars, the damage was extensive.... straight in at grade 4 on both knees... was off work for months post op.

I am due to see my consultant next few weeks.... really starting to struggle now, although I have now got a blue badge with helps...

But my life is really restricted, well my life at present "is over" I get up go to work, come home, rest and eat, then bed, then ground hog day the next day - have no energy or ability/mobility for anything else - and its been like this for many months now... NO QUALITY OF LIFE...

I want this nightmare ended - hoping the consultant will say YES to Bilateral knee/partial knee replacements - but I too am classed as too young very late 30's - but clearly remember my consultant saying come back if it gets unbearable and we can discuss further options...

I just want this nightmare over now - I want my life and mobility back - SORRY if this sounds selfish, but it makes me so sad being like this...

Fressia
    hugs freesia xxx