Rheumy appointment update

Options
Mumof1
Mumof1 Member Posts: 42
edited 21. Nov 2012, 10:30 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi all, I went for my third rheumy appointment yesterday and because the ESR is up I need to start on Sulfasalazine, which I start on the 27th of December after I have seen the rheumy nurse. I also need to have a steroid injection, but as I have a cold at the moment i need to make an appointment next week.

I'm actually quite scared about taking this medication, not just because of the side effects but because I have a huge phobia/problem of taking tablets, could someone please tell me how big they are? And does this medication only come in tablet form?

Many thanks xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Oh I envy you, having a steroid jab :) I love 'em.

I hope someone else will jump in soon to tell you about sulph as I've never done it. Please don't worry about the side-effects though (The only one I know of is that your wee will probably turn a fetching shade of yellow :roll: ) You will be well-monitored while on this med and any potential problems will probably be picked up on before they arrive.

When you say you have a phobia about taking pills, do you mean you have a problem swallowing them or a problem with the whole idea of taking meds? If it's the latter please have a chat with your GP as these meds are only prescribed when necessary, auto-immune versions of arthritis must be held at bay and you do need to take them. If it's to do with swallowing, I don't know how they come. Possibly, they can be broken up smaller but don't do this without asking a doc or pharmacists.

The steroid jab may well make you feel as if you don't need the sulph anyway. It's not true. You do. The steroids just make you feel OK but won't stop the disease's progress.

I hope someone will be along soon who knows all about sulph.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • LignumVitae
    LignumVitae Member Posts: 1,972
    Options
    Hello

It's a while since I took Sulfa but as I recall, and this is coming from a hazy memory, the tablets aren't as big as paracetamol but are smaller and less chalky so miles easier to take. They do indeed turn your wee a fetching shade of yellow, something I noticed more when I stopped them and went back to shades that didn't look quite so freaky. You might be able to cut them up but I have a feeling they could be enteric coated so possibly not. Speak to the medics on that one. I'm pretty sure Sulpha only comes as tablets and as much as you clearly don't like the idea of taking pills, they do work pretty well so it will be worth it.

Good luck, LV
    Hey little fighter, things will get brighter
  • Mumof1
    Options
    Thank you both for your reply.

It is a fear of swallowing tablets that I have, I think this stems from seeing someone choke to death when I was younger (not on a tablet), so swallowing something not chewed puts me in a panic, however i can swallow diclofenic so something that size or a little bit bigger will be fine.
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    I started on Sulpha a few weeks ago, they are a bit smaller than Paracetamole, so if you can take those you should be okay.

I did have quite back nausea when I started on these, but that has calmed down now.

I also get a steriod injection every 4 months into my knee and it does wonders.

Hope this helps.
  • dibdab
    dibdab Member Posts: 1,498
    Options
    Hi there,

I take sulphasalazine- they are torpedo shaped and similar in size to paracetemol, they are okay to swallow with plenty of water- I struggle with round tablets but these are much easier because of the shape. If you start on them remember to take them with a meal then they are kinder on the stomach.

As the others said, they turn urine a fetching shade of bright yellow, and I was hugely alarmed one morning when I had bleached the loo to find it was bright orange :shock: - then I realised it was mixing with the bleach.

Every day is an adventure with this darned disease! :o Hope you get some treatment to help very soon.

Deb x
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi. .
    I hope that the sulphasalazine suit and work well. They're not the biggest tablets but are a decent size..

Xxx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Mumof1
    Options
    Thank you for the replys, it has put my mind a little bit at rest. Not looking forward to the nausea but hopefully they will work ok for me. xx
  • numptynora
    numptynora Member Posts: 782
    Options
    Hi MO1,

Imagine a huge great big horse tablet..........well they are NOT as big as that and as already said they're torpedo shaped, the enteric coated ones are better for the tummy, I've been on them for approx 10 years with no side effects.

Good luck
    Numps x
    Numps x
    Pets come into our lives, and then leave paw-prints on our hearts.
  • Mumof1
    Options
    So they are big then :shock: :(

I will try my best with them xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Mumof1
    Im sorry I cant offer any help with the meds, but I just want to add my support and wish you well with them...there are quite a few people on here on sulph..so maybe you could start a thread asking about it.
    You take care xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    hi again.
    I just wanted to add that i have had no side effects at all other than loss of apetite. I did lose weight because of this but i needed to lol
    Also, before starting on them I was very wheat intolerant as I have IBS/IBD. The sulfa has worked wonders for that and I am loving being able to have banana sandwiches again :lol:

Best wishes :D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    I take 6 sulphasalazine a day and have no bother swallowing them.They are not as long as cocodamol and just slightly wider.I had few headaches and some nausea first few weeks but it settled down.It does colour urine a orange colour.I hope you will be able to take them and that they will help.
  • spacey
    spacey Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Hi, i have been taking sulphasalasine for the past 12 years and have never experienced any side effects at all. They do turn my wee bright yellow/orange but thats the only thing - they have proved to be very effective for me - good luck with yours.
  • DebraKelly
    DebraKelly Member Posts: 398
    Options
    Funny you should say that Tony as I have had a loss of apetite since I went on the max dose! lol

For nauesa I would recommend, mints or ginger nuts.