MRI resluts

Options
wall1409
wall1409 Member Posts: 294
edited 23. Nov 2012, 08:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Folks

Went to physio yesterday and they told me MRI results, its OA of the spine(which I knew) with bulging discs. I am currently having a lot of pain in hip which they think is a nerve causing it, hips dragging. Anyone else experience this please. Told some of my work collegues about the OA and they were telling me about other people who have it and they have good and bad times with it, I've been in constant pain for over a year now and its gradually got a lot worse so I take it people have it in different ways.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    My OA is due to RA and I don’t have it in my spine so I can’t really help. I’ve done the hip pain thing but that was when they needed replacing. Certainly, we all have our good and bad days though and, although excess work will usually produce a bad day, sometimes there seems no accounting for them. Realistically, it does get worse over time but physio might help to keep the muscles supporting those discs. In your situation I’d be asking my GP to refer me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Wall
    this back and hip things is so complicated I am at the same stage really , my pain is not too bad in the house because I can sit down when I want but outside is a different thing.
    You keep on with the physio if you can, they will keep some of your joints supple, and if the pain is too bad ask to be referred to a pin clinic.
    You take care x
    Love
    Barbara
  • elnafinn
    elnafinn Member Posts: 7,412
    Options
    Hi Wall

At least you have had an MRI so know what the problem is. :roll: From your symptoms I take it the bulging discs are in the lower part of your spine as different symptoms are felt depending where the offending discs are positioned. I have problems with my spine but different from yours so will not bore you with the details! :wink: Yep, pain mainly after sleeping, but it does gradually ease for me, thank goodness, with anti inflams and daily stretching exercises. A hot shower and wheatbags, when sitting/lying, or electric blanket, can help me with discomfort too. Is physio helping you at all?

Elna x
    The happiest people don't have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything.

If you can lay down at night knowing in your heart that you made someone's day just a little bit better, you know you had a good day.
  • wall1409
    Options
    Thanks folks,

I dont seem to be getting any ease with physio infact I was in that much pain yesterday with the hip that she didnt do anything just recommended me to try stretching exercises she showed me and try and do bridging exercises for core musles she wants to see me in a week to see whats happening
  • frogmella
    frogmella Member Posts: 1,111
    Options
    Hi Wall,

I have spinal arthritis too. I also had a herniated disc at l5s1 which I had fused three years ago. That is what has made my arthritis at l4l5 so bad!

As far as the pain goes I had facet joint injections and an epidural at l4l5 in May and it made a massive difference - for a while! During that period of relief I did a lot pf physio and also a lot of swimming. I am now back in a lot of pain and waiting to see what comes next.

My physio says to do the stretching because tight hamstrings/glutes come along with the spinal pain and loosening them can help. I am not really doing many exercises now - just stretches.

Are you under a surgeon at the moment? It might be good to get referred to one to see what options you have.7

Also there are different meds to try to help with the associated nerve pain - I am now on gabapentin which helps quite a lot.

I hope you get some help soon

Helen
  • wall1409
    Options
    Thanks Helen

Thats very good information, pain is bad but I might ask GP for better meds with nerve pain, its early days yet so unsure what next stage is, dont know if they keep you with physio to see what happens then decide or what to be honest.

Wendy x
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi Wall
    It seems as if a pain clinic would be good for you if you can get a referral

Love
    Hileena
  • sheenakt
    sheenakt Member Posts: 51
    Options
    Hi

I have suffered the pattern of hip/back pain for several years. My THR last September has helped the hip part but now my back seems more of a problem, like you an MRI scan has confirmed arthritis is in the lower facet joints of the spine, I've had some (8) steroid injections which have helped a little, I go back to see the consultant on the 28th to review. Good luck, I hope you get sorted soon.

sheena x
  • wall1409
    Options
    Had a call from hospital yesterday they are sending me a letter but want a second MRI scan, anyone ever experienced this?
  • frogmella
    Options
    My guess is that you are going to see a spine consultant and he/she will want their own scan. Could also be that they want contrast if you didn't have it last time? Sounds like a move forwards to me. Good luck.
  • wall1409
    Options
    Thank Helen..Hoping letter may explain something but your right it must be something they have seen that they want another look at might explain all the pain I'm in hopefully. They never used dye so maybe thats what they want to do this time.

Wendy x
  • frogmella
    Options
    You're welcome! Don't worry about the contrast - I fretted before my first one but it was nothing really - just prolongs the scan a bit! And if they can explain your pain I'm sure you will feel better. I always worry that it is all in my head until the surgeon points at a picture on the screen that explains it all! Not that knowing removes the pain but it does mean that I am not nuts! :D Or not that nuts anyway!
  • wall1409
    Options
    Yes I was starting to think was it just me until I was referred to the rheumalogist and things started moving for me, even my first back xray showed inflammtion that is why he ordered the MRI and seems like they may have found something else or want to verify something, hence second MRI I think. You try not to worry but when you think you've been given results then sent for a second scan, worry kicks in.

Wendy x