Any Tips for my new hip ?

Options
lazicat
lazicat Member Posts: 177
edited 21. Nov 2012, 15:57 in Living with Arthritis archive
Just wondering if anyones got any tips on how to care for my new hip. I want to take good care of it to hopefully make it last as long as possible. Im 50 years old & realise I may need to have repeat surgery in my lifetime, ideally would prefer not too !
Any suggestions would be very gratefully received.

Comments

• dachshund
    dachshund Member Posts: 8,955
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Lazicat
    i've had my thr 16 years i had it after falling over. i've been swimming and to the gym on the treadmill and exercise
    bike as well as floor exercises as well as walking the dog over 3 miles a day then i got arther and now my body aches and i have a mobility scoota to take the dog and do the shopping i cannot walk very far i have a problem standing i have a tkr and a tripple fusion on my foot.
    good luck with your hip.
    take care
    joan
    xx
    take care
    joan xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi lazycat
    Sorry I wont be much help, I haven't had my THR yet, but I will be watching and waiting to see what the others will say, I do wish you well with your new hip x
    Love
    Barbara
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    Options
    Thank-you. Aftercare tips will be so useful.
    Good Luck Barbara , Im sure it will be worth it.
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    Hi
    I had my THR just after my 40th birthday, and like would like it to last as long as possible.
    The main advice I was given was keep weight down, don`t "test" your hip by pushing it too far.Only do what feels comfortable, and if you have been given any long term restrictions -adhere to them.
    My hip dislocated 18mths post op, with no reason for it. So I am very careful with mine as I never want to experience that again!!
    Did you get a non cemented hip?
    NB
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    I have two. They've given me no problems but my OA was caused by RA so, although I have two THRs, I'm unable to 'overdo' things. (I think dancing isn't considered good because of the twisty motion) My problem is more likey to be underuse so I do exercises every day. NB's suggestions sound good to me.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Options
    Hi there

I just saw your post and I was curious as I only had mine done 18 months ago. I do tend to worry about putting strain on it. Mine for some reason makes grinding on metal noises. Which apparently is ok there are some people out there that do experience this. I always bend knees when picking something up from floor. Have managed to lose one and a half stone since the op.
    Karen xx