JIA sufferer and now bone loss density.

Options
Kirsty88
Kirsty88 Member Posts: 9
edited 22. Nov 2012, 06:42 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi there guys,
I'm pretty new to this but thought I may try it out for some advice.
I was diagnosed with JIA ten years ago now, I'm now 24 I've been on lots of different medication, treatments etc it also tend to effect my immune system a great deal too. Now recently I've been having some severe pain in my lower spine and I mentioned this at a recent consultant app, they sent me for a X-ray and I have just received a letter informing me there is a loss of bone density in my lower spine area. Also they are guna send me to a special scan. Now what does loss of bone density mean to a arthritis sufferer? Is this bad? Any advice or help would greatly be appreciated! :)

Kirsty

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hello Kirsty888. It's good to meet you though, as we say in these parts, I'm sorry you had to find us.

I'm not surprised that your JIA affects the immune system as it's an auto-immune disease. Do you know much about them? If not, you might find it helpful to check out some of the booklets and leaflets in the 'Publications and Resources' section at the top of the page. The meds we use are all designed to dampen down our over-active immune systems so that makes us more prone to viruses etc.

I don't have bone density loss so I'm not the best person to answer you. It can be caused by osteoporosis or, the milder (I believe) from, oseteopoenia. if you have been on steroids for a long time, they can cause it. I hope someone will be along soon who knows more about it than I do but I hope the scan news is good.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    sorry that i can't advise but just wanted to wish you all the best and welcome you to the forum.
    Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Kirsty88
    Kirsty88 Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Thank you guys.....

And stickywicket
    Yea I pretty much know the ins and outs of JIA after having it ten years just I guess like everyone there's hope something better will come along. And it's nice there's a forum like this as it can be hard living with the stigma and no one understanding but this sounds like a good place!! Just now with the loss of bone density I'm a tad worried but I'm sure it will end up ok. Lol
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    This is a great place to be hun. We all understand what this rubbish can do.
    I have had osteo in the knees since around thirteen yrs old. I'm now 44. It's spread a fair bit plus now I have sero negative too :roll:
    I have had so much support and made some great friends on here, hope you do too.
    :D
    Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Airwave!
    Airwave! Member Posts: 2,466
    Options
    At first osteoporosis may seem a serious diagnosis, its not an immediate threat, treatment is well known, it is another form of arthritis and it is possible to move you back into a safe band of bone density. To be honest, let the doctor worry about it, you get on with your life, it'll make you feel better.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,719
    Options
    Airwave! wrote:
    At first osteoporosis may seem a serious diagnosis, its not an immediate threat, treatment is well known, it is another form of arthritis and it is possible to move you back into a safe band of bone density. To be honest, let the doctor worry about it, you get on with your life, it'll make you feel better.

Sorry to contradict you, Airwave, but I'm pretty sure osteoporosis isn't a form of arthritis.

I agree though that it's best not to worry but sometimes things have to be done about it ie exercise and sometimes meds.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • rockchick
    rockchick Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Hey Kirsty, try not to worry too much. Wait until you've had your scan, that'll give the doctors a much clearer picture. If it is osteoporosis, which is one of many arthritises under the arthritis umbrella, the doctors will let you know what type of exercise, medication and supplements can help, and as Airwave said, maybe even improve your bone density. I also agree, it doesn't have to stop you enjoying your life. Best wishes.
  • hileena111
    hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to the forum.....we seem to have a bit of a disagreement about ostoporosis.....I tend to agree with Sticky....its not a form of arthritis. Thining of the bones.....I have osteopinia which is one step from osteporosis.....You should be send for a dexa scan to check out how good or bad your bones are.....one of the easier scans :lol:
    Then possibly be put on meds......eg....calcium or something like that but I'm not a doctor.....They may just say.....life changes....that will be watching diet etc.
    Someone with osteoporosis will come along and tell you their experience.
    I dont think you need much advice on JIA :wink:
    Take care
    Love
    Hilena
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Hi Kirsty, I'm 39yrs old, I have Osteo-porosis & recently been diagnoised with Osteo-Arthritis as well, I had a bone density scan in a big huge scanner that measures the amount of bone density you have and they found both legs and lower back had low density. What that means you have to be careful as you could break a bone very easily. I'm forever breaking my big toes when I hit them on my poof or skirting! I also have a low immune system which means any bug that is about you could catch, I tell people who want to come to my house if they have any cough's, colds, bug's they have to stay away! Which if they understand your health comes first they do.