BLUE BADGE

Options
hileena111
hileena111 Member Posts: 7,099
edited 28. Nov 2012, 03:53 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi I'm just applying or should i say RE - applying for my BB.
Originally they used to send you a reminder here but things have changed :o
I thought because I already have one it would be realatively simple but NO :?
Loads of forms to be filled in, lots of photocopies etc and they want a letter from a "Medical consultant" to make sure what I'm telling them is the truth. :shock:
I've made loads of phone calls to consultants, GP's etc and I should be ready to post it today {I think}
The last step is to go to the GP this morning and collect a letter from them to send off.
I dont mind but we've had so many threads on here about BB I thought I would add this....£10 for the BB {which they will return if they fail me :roll: }
£5 to the GP for the letter.
Please cross everything for me that I get it :wink:

Love
Hileena

Comments

• tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I understand that they need to clamp down on idiots that abuse them BUT. . It's us genuine folks that get ill with stress.
    I wish you the best of luck hun

Xx
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Tony.
    Dont know if it would have been any easier if I was claiming benefits {eg DLA}...probably not

Love
    Hileena
  • julie47
    julie47 Member Posts: 6,041
    Options
    good luck hileena I hope you get it. :)

Have my fingers crossed.

Love Juliepf x
  • nearlybionic
    nearlybionic Member Posts: 1,899
    Options
    HI Hileena
    I had the same experience last time except I did not need a letter from the GP, just photocopies of all relevant letters. I got my reply in the post within 10 days and it was approved for another 3 years, and then I will have to do it all again! I think it is different if you receive DLA as I think you can apply as part of that (correct me if I am wrong!) Mine was £10 too,paid to local council.
    Good luck x
    NB
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Good luck Hileena keeping everything crossed you get it............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    I Don't know if it's different down here in Redditch but I re-applied for my BB last December and I had to photocopy my DLA letter as proof I recieved it. And I had to go to my nearest Neighbourhood/Council office to get it, they made it up there and then! :o
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    My first one was reasonably easy to get but this one.....dreadful and i havent got it yet!!!
    It was our social services dept that I went to, got a form, filled it in and sent it off and that was it.....{Not on DLA or anything else}
    Well its gone now so its just a matter of waiting and doing without it for a while.

Love
    Hileena
  • lazicat
    lazicat Member Posts: 177
    Options
    I got my BB after qualifing for high rate DLA - just told them I got it & sent chq £10 and it arrived a few days later.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Oh Hileena its scary how its going , like Tony says they are hitting the wrong people, I have got so used to having my blue badge, it has been a godsend....I will have everything crossed for you xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    They do hit on the wrong people. :roll: ..I've only had one before but after the 3 years i would be lost without it.....one of the things i need it for is the space in a disabled parking place.....I cant get my rollator out of the car in an ordinary space :roll: I would end up scratching my car or someone elses :oops:
    All I can do is wait now

Love
    Hileena
  • elainebadknee
    elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
    Options
    Hileena

Why do they need copies from your consultant? Sorry if thats a daft question to ask....And why is your GP charging you for a letter? It infuriates me when GP's do this cos its a rip off...My GP is very good has written letters and has signed my mugshots for both of my blue badges...I make a point of thanking her though with a card and wee box of choccies as i think thats only polite....
    I hope you get the blue badge, I can only say they are targetting the wrong people and i suppose £10 isnt a lot to pay for safe and ample parking spaces when we need them...

Good luck

Elainexx
  • GraceB
    GraceB Member Posts: 1,595
    Options
    Hileena,
    I hope you get the BB. Down here in Kent we have to pay the £10 fee - which isn't refundable if they refuse you. You only get a BB automatically if you have the higher rate of DLA, but you still have to send the £10, photo and evidence plus complete a huge form.
    Mine's up for renewal next April and I'll have to start my application process in January as it takes the Local Authority here 10-12 weeks to produce one even if you are on DLA (which I am). They also demand an up to date entitlement letter of the DLA from the DWP so you have to allow time to get that as well.
    If I lose my DLA through this review process for the PIP which starts next year the thought of then losing my BB fills me with dread so I can sympathise entirely with how you're feeling.
    I hope you get your new BB before your current one runs out.
    Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
    GraceB
    Turn a negative into a positive!
  • hileena111
    Options
    Hi
    They accepted a letter from my GP because it would take ages to get a consultans one......they want proof that I'm rtelling the truth :roll:
    £10 isnt bad when you think of the hospital parking charges alone that I would pay without it. As for the GP....dont know why I had to pay £5 but once again a small price to pay.
    Grace.....I was told to send a £10 cheque with the form and if I didnt get the BB iot would be refunded.....but it would speed things up if I sent it straight away.
    I wont get it before my other one runs out....it runs out this Tues!!!! Oh well
    Love
    Hileena
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    I don't know how I've managed to miss this, Hileena, but I do hope it all works out for you.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,447
    Options
    You know I am thinking of you and fully expecting this BB to be renewed as a matter of course.

Love hopes and hugs

Toni xxx
  • hileena111
    Options
    Thanks Toni and Sticky......Sticky you have plenty on your plate....its easy to miss things...so have you Toni and I think you have more faith than i do in the County Councils and BB :lol:

Love
    Hileena
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    If they call you in for an OT assessment you will do a walking test. If you walk more than 50 yards in a reasonable time you will fail the test and not get the badge.

Good luck.
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Options
    Hope you are successful, I have applied for a BB last week, do not know as yet if I will get it.

On my application form it asked if I have had any of their OT assessment and the answer was yes but do not know if that will make any difference as yet. Have to wait and see. I also get AA at the higher rate, but they do not asked that on the council form only if I am getting higher rate of Mobility allowance, which I do not as I am over 65.
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    Emily wrote:
    I also get AA at the higher rate, but they do not asked that on the council form only if I am getting higher rate of Mobility allowance, which I do not as I am over 65.

It's not quite so clear cut, Emily. Before I reached 60 I was getting DLA with the higher rate of Mobility Allowance (and automatic renewal of my BB).

Now that I'm over 60 the DLA has turned into my pension but the higher rate of Mobility Allowance continues as does the automatic renewal of my BB - well, it has done up to now.

My understanding is very limited :oops: but I think that, if you get M.A. before 60 it continues whereas, if you need help after 60 it comes in the form of A.A.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • hileena111
    Options
    I dont get anything....because I didnt appeal when i was turned down the first time but if you get DLA it continues as DLA but if you apply after 60 its AA which is less.....dont know how much.
    Thats about all i know.
    My badge actually expires today.....I have a months grace in Northumberland [where I live and it was issued} but thats not a lot of help :oops: I am in Northumberland yes!! but just over the border from Tyne and wear and most of my travelling is to there....eg my arthritis group, any trainings etc.
    Oh well....we'll just have to see what happens.
    Love
    Hileena
  • Emily
    Emily Member Posts: 124
    Options