More Mobile

Options
elainebadknee
elainebadknee Bots Posts: 3,703
edited 25. Nov 2012, 10:49 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi There

Ive just passed the one month anniversary of my TKR and although its early days still for me im walking quite a bit....Ive managed to walk up to the shop and back for a magazine (my dad did accompany me as it was lashing with rain and he was concerned id slip on leaves but I wanted to walk)...Today ive been into town and into home bargains and then after lunch walked to post office to post a card, didnt make it back was bit tired but quite proud ive managed to walk as far as I did..
I now also have upped my exercises from 10 of each to 25 of the quad strengthener, 25 knee flexions and 25 straight leg raises, twice a day......I still cant get a great sleep but am managing to sleep on my side albeit not for long as wake up with sore hips.....The swelling still has to come down a bit more, not sure how long that will take....
The good news is can discard the blinking anti embolism socks, a month is enough as funnily since have shaved legs they get really itchy...GRR!!!
Dont think will be driving in 2 weeks, in fact know I wont but im not worried, I will drive when im ready and safe to do so...

Love Elainexx

Comments

• Numptydumpty
    Numptydumpty Member Posts: 6,417
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi Elaine,
    I don't know much about TKRs, but it seems to me you are doing very well :D
    I think you are being very sensible about the driving, it will come in time.
    Keep up the good work!
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,715
    Options
    That sounds like good news to me, Elaine, and I'm sure you'll be delighted to get rid of the stockings :)

Has the physio actually advised you to do the quads in 25s twice daily? I just remember a physio once telling me that 10 was as much as was helpful at a time but they've all emphasised the need to do them at least 4 times per day.

Only you can decide when you're safe to drive. No point in rushing it.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • villier
    villier Member Posts: 4,426
    Options
    Well done Elaine, no wonder you are glad to ditch the stockings the last time I wore them in hospital they actually bruised my legs, just watch though that you are not trying to do to much to soon...........tc............Marie xx
    Smile a while and while you smile
    smile another smile and soon there
    will be miles and miles of smiles
    just because you smiled I wish your
    day is full of Smiles
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Numpty

Well despite dad keeping telling me he drove in 6weeks i know im nowhere near that...Its not a race!!

Elainexx
    Hi Elaine,
    I don't know much about TKRs, but it seems to me you are doing very well :D
    I think you are being very sensible about the driving, it will come in time.
    Keep up the good work!
    Take care,
    Numpty
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Sticky

Well my dad just said to build up how many i do in my exercises so have done...I will ask physio this week...

Elainexx
    That sounds like good news to me, Elaine, and I'm sure you'll be delighted to get rid of the stockings :)

Has the physio actually advised you to do the quads in 25s twice daily? I just remember a physio once telling me that 10 was as much as was helpful at a time but they've all emphasised the need to do them at least 4 times per day.

Only you can decide when you're safe to drive. No point in rushing it.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Marie

Oh they are horrid things arent they? Urgh, still got bruises now a month on and maybe the stokcings have held them in?

Elainexx
    villier wrote:
    Well done Elaine, no wonder you are glad to ditch the stockings the last time I wore them in hospital they actually bruised my legs, just watch though that you are not trying to do to much to soon...........tc............Marie xx
  • diamond
    diamond Member Posts: 396
    Options
    Well done Elaine take care.
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    a month already since your TKR?

Is lovely to see your knee is recovering so well and you are able to walk a bit further each time. Things have gone well and after all that is all you hoped for.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Blimey Elaine like Elizabeth says I cant believe a month has gone..I do love reading how well you are doing...good for you sticking to the exercises, its must be hard at times but you are doing so well :D xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Thanks Diamond...xx
    diamond wrote:
    Well done Elaine take care.
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Elizabeth

Yes its a month, was on thursday of this week....It has gone quite quick and I am back to see the consultant's team @wrightington in 2 weeks time....Have sat in car driving seat today and can put foot on clutch but its not one bit comfortable so know am nowwhere near for driving...
    The leg still has a bit to come down in terms of swelling still and stiffness but its getting better and stronger...

Elainexx
    tkachev wrote:
    a month already since your TKR?

Is lovely to see your knee is recovering so well and you are able to walk a bit further each time. Things have gone well and after all that is all you hoped for.

Elizabeth
  • elainebadknee
    Options
    Hi Barbara

The exercises are pretty easy now, its takes about 40mins in total every day to do them so thats hardly a lot of time...I do go for walks too and am getting further and braver...

Elainexx
    barbara12 wrote:
    Blimey Elaine like Elizabeth says I cant believe a month has gone..I do love reading how well you are doing...good for you sticking to the exercises, its must be hard at times but you are doing so well :D xx
  • deedeeitsme
    deedeeitsme Member Posts: 321
    Options
    Glad things are going well for you and may they continue to improve.

Take care Dee x