I got my DLA!!

Options
jenzie06
jenzie06 Member Posts: 708
edited 25. Nov 2012, 10:50 in Living with Arthritis archive
Received my letter this morning. I've got DLA indefinitely!

Now a little worried that they've made a mistake and I will have to repay them a gazillion pounds. I put practically the same information on the form as the last one and they gave me a lower rate and for only 2 years. So I don't understand really. I did include letters from absolutely everyone I could think of to support me so I think that helped.

Does indefinitely mean forever or until they start PIP?

Plus there are a couple of errors in the letter for example, it says I get high rate mobility (like I have for ages) but it says I have no problems going upstairs?!?! Do I need to question it or leave it?

Comments

• ShulaArcher
    ShulaArcher Member Posts: 174
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    Hi

Great news! I can't answer your questions but I'm sure somebody will be able to.

Have a good weekend.

Shula
  • trepolpen
    trepolpen Member Posts: 504
    Options
    jenzie06 wrote:
    Received my letter this morning. I've got DLA indefinitely!

Does indefinitely mean forever or until they start PIP?

had mine since 1997 saying indefinitely but we all going to change over to PiP in next couple of years , + got ESA forms to fill in at the moment

well done getting the DLA , rest would not worry about as you have to do the PIP forms at some point
  • lizzy100
    lizzy100 Member Posts: 235
    Options
    thats great. hope it helps. it does make a difference,
    i got mine really easily although not for arthritis. i was surprised, and iv never had to talk to anyone about it, i thought id have to go for a review or something. its been helpful as im a student and couldnt afford the things i needed to help me. i'll prob just stop it when i start working, although at the moment i dont know how il be able to work not being able to walk but o well.
  • mld
    mld Member Posts: 45
    Options
    I, too, get DLA, but for mental health reasons. I have recently returned to work, and am so glad of the DLA and AtW funds (I get a taxi to work but the bus on the way home!) it just means working part-time is OK ish financially.

Mine is also indefinitely - but I'm sure it will all disappear once PIP comes in :cry:

Anyway, great news for the moment,

Margaret
  • bubbadog
    bubbadog Member Posts: 5,544
    Options
    Congrat's!! I did threaten to put my letter in a frame on the wall, from what I read it as is for good or until it changes or PIP!
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi Jen
    That is good news, sorry I cant answer your questions, its does sound a bit strange, I would ring them up and question why you owe them anything, but you enjoy it xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • Trayce
    Trayce Member Posts: 110
    Options
    I have just done a change of circumstance form and due to correct info from my gp I have been but on my original award I have this till 2017 but April pip comes in also my hubby on dla and his is indefinitely but that is not the case when pip comes in everyone will be sent pip forms I would ring dla up and ask them about the letter I did
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,452
    Options
    Well done you Jen!!

I am over the moon for you.

Sadly indefinite means, (definition: lasting for an unknown period of time), whenever they can be bothered to review your award.

They got rid of the old 'lifetime' awards a few years back :roll:

It's like 'as long as a piece of string'

but fabulous news :)

love

Toni xx
  • kentishlady
    kentishlady Member Posts: 809
    Options
    Hi Jen. That's great news. Am sure it will help. I know lots of you have to go through exhausting procedures to get it. Persistance does pay off eventually sometimes. I don't qualify for it (wish I did) as my OA was diagnosed after I reached 65 (though looking back I am sure I did have it before then). If diagnosis is after 65 then you can claim for a type of 'assistance allowance' but that is only awarded if you need help with 'personal care', which I am lucky enough not to need, so unfortunately I can't get any extra financial help at all. Do hope the DLA award will make a difference for you. Beryl
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    It lasts until migrated over to PIP. I wouldn't challenge anything unless you want to up your award but as you have succeeded in getting HRM I'd leave it.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • tkachev
    tkachev Member Posts: 8,332
    Options
    Just seen that anyone on an indefinate award won't be migrated to PIP until January 2014.

Elizabeth
    Never be bullied into silence.
    Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
    Accept no ones definition of your life

Define yourself........

Harvey Fierstein
  • Trayce
    Trayce Member Posts: 110
    Options
    when I rang they was very helpful
  • blueknees
    blueknees Member Posts: 90
    Options
    Hi and well done for getting your DLA.

I was on an indefinite award until last year when the fraud department had me under surveillance following a call on the national phone line. The call was an issue with Carers Allowance and had been sorted years before but because they could use that as an excuse to look at my DLA they did.

My award was taken from me last September.

I am on an appeal tribunal next week but just don't know what the result will be. If it goes against me I will have to repay some money, the amount will be decided by the panel. If it goes in my favour I will get back over one years worth of payments and should be on indefinite again.

Just shows you never can tell when you are being watched so be careful out there.

A few prayers may help :)