Leflunomide? ...Anyone taking or taken this?

Options
Jadelz88
Jadelz88 Member Posts: 13
edited 15. Dec 2012, 14:37 in Living with Arthritis archive
Hi Lovely People,

After a visit to the Rheumy he is putting me on Leflunomide to trial and if no good then the next one will be a biologic injection cant remember the name Hemuara or somethng?? I am to continue with MTX whilst on the Leflunomide 2 pretty toxic drugs but hopefully i will be able to wean off the prednisone and maybe also the hydroxychloriquin (spelt so wrong sorry)
Can anyone tell me if they have used or are using this drug and what they think of it?

Smiles health and laughter to you all
Jadelz xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Options
    I have taken lef but not for long although, as I remember, it worked OK for me. I know others are on it but I don't think there are as many on lef as on meth, hydroxy and sulph. If it enables you to come off the pred that would be a big step forward. I'm currently on meth & hydroxy.

I think the biologic you were referring to is probably humira. Quite a few on that too.

Good luck with the lef!
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • ritwren
    ritwren Member Posts: 928
    Options
    Hi Jadlez, I stopped Methotrexate at the end of march this year as per my consultant and started Leflunamide. My consultant would'nt let me take the 2 together as he said they'd be too toxic.
    I took the Leflunamide until last week with no effect at all, my PA has been in flare since end of march this year and I've had numerous steroid tablets and injections with small effect only. I've had my assessments for biological therapy and have an appointment in the middle of december to hopefully start then. I started back on the methotrexate last week and have my fingers crossed that it gives me some relief.
    Everyone is different even if we share the same disease, the reason we have so many options is that what will work for one person won't work for another but hopefully we can all find a regime that will help us. Very best of luck, let us know how you get on.
  • Starburst
    Starburst Member Posts: 2,546
    Options
    Hello Jadelz,

I have been on MTX for over 2 years and I started on leflunomide 2.5 months ago. I'm on 20mg injected MTX and 10mg leflunomide (think it will be increased at my next rheum appt). So far, so good. Not much improvement yet but it's early days, bloods looking fine and apart from a bit of mild nausea, no side effects either.

How did you tolerate & respond to MTX? My rheumy said that people who cope well on MTX are more likely to cope well on leflunomide. Obviously we are all different and there's no hard and fast rule. Fingers crossed for you!

Sophie x

P.S. Is the 88 in your username your year of birth, if so, we are the same age!
  • Jadelz88
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thanks stickywicket for your reply! Thanks also witren, yeah i am a bit worried about taking the 2 together as i will then be on 20mg MTX 20mg Prednisone (to slowly wean off) leflunomide and hydroxy so its pretty full on but i guess it choosing the lesser of two evils. I'm so sorry to hear the Lef didn't work for you and that you are flaring at present :( Like u say what works for one wont necessarily work for another. Good luck keep us posted with your progress.
    Hi Sophie fingers crossed for you that it builds up and works for you really soon!! Yeah i tolerated the MTX pretty well thanks so hopefully your right and the Lef will go down alright to. So did you take the big loading dose of lef alright with the MTX too?

The 88 is just that 8 is my favourite number I was born in 81 lol :-)
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,281
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry I cant help with the meds but I just want to add my support and wish you well with them...please let us know how you get on x
    Love
    Barbara
  • gazza67
    gazza67 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    Hi,I was diagnosed with R.A in march 2010 by november 2010 was in agony could hardly get out of bed switch on kettle or turn on taps.Put on leflunomide and mtx dec 2010.Now go too gym 3-5 times a week and am vitrually pain free no flares for a year it has given me my life back.I hope it has same effect for you.
  • Jadelz88
    Options
    Wow gazza that is amazing so happy for you and good on you for keeping so active. Thanks for sharing your experience with it gives me hope!
    :)
  • tjt6768
    tjt6768 Member Posts: 12,170
    Options
    Hi Jade, just wanted to say I hope the concoction works well for yahoo hun...

:D
    e050.gifMe-Tony
    n035.gifRa-1996 -2013 RIP...
    k040.gif
    Cleo - 1996 to 2011. RIP
  • Starburst
    Options
    Jadelz88 wrote:
    Hi Sophie fingers crossed for you that it builds up and works for you really soon!! Yeah i tolerated the MTX pretty well thanks so hopefully your right and the Lef will go down alright to. So did you take the big loading dose of lef alright with the MTX too?

The 88 is just that 8 is my favourite number I was born in 81 lol :-)

Hiya. Just noticed you asked me if I took the loading dose. I didn't. My rheumy prefers not to so as to avoid side effects. How is it going with you?
  • Jadelz88
    Options
    Hey Sophie,

Sorry for the late reply. Things are ok been having a pretty bad few days though just so sore and swollen have hardly been able to walk much and the fatigue has been crazy too. However....chin up i start my new meds on Monday so fingers crossed, how are YOU doing? :D
    J
  • Jadelz88
    Options
    Hey Tony,

Thanks so much how are things with you?
  • Starburst
    Options
    Jadelz88 wrote:
    Hey Sophie,

Sorry for the late reply. Things are ok been having a pretty bad few days though just so sore and swollen have hardly been able to walk much and the fatigue has been crazy too. However....chin up i start my new meds on Monday so fingers crossed, how are YOU doing? :D
    J

Oh eek, sorry you've had a tough time. Hopefully you flare down in time for Christmas! I'm also in a flare but overall, I think there has been some improvement on 10mg leflunomide. It's been 3 months now. Fingers crossed for you too! Be kind to yourself. x