dizziness with osteoarthritis in the neck

knuckleduster
knuckleduster Member Posts: 551
edited 3. Dec 2012, 13:10 in Living with Arthritis archive
Have suffered with bad headaches due to osteoarthritis in the neck for some years which have been alleviated with osteopathy, but things are obviously getting worse as I have started to suffer from dizzy spells.

Just wondering if anybody else on the forum with a neck line mine has dizzy spells too. If so, how do you control them?

Janet xx

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697
    edited 30. Nov -1, 00:00
    Have you checked this out with the GP, Janet? It could be something different or something adding to the problem eg side-effect of a med.
    If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • knuckleduster
    Morning stickywicket (and what a lovely morning it is here in Essex).

I'm certain it's not the meds as I'm fortunate in only needing painkillers or antiinflams on an as and when basis. I'm off to the osteopath tomorrow and I think he will find the joints at the base of head will be stiff and seized up again because I'm getting a lot of irriration in the nerves which travel up the back of the head to the top. I also noticed when I went out for a fast walk with my trolley the other day I had to sit down and recover for a few minutes because the blood vessels had become inflamed and that only happens when things have seized up. The neck itself is not stiff or painful, it's the joints at the base of the head. Well, that's my self diagnosis anyway.

Have a good weekend.

Janet xx

Janet xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    If the neck problems irritate the nerves then dizzy spells can occur. I get this from my neck but I also have menieres disease. I have tablets to help alleviate the dizziness. Muscle relaxers also help to loosen the neck and stop the spasms.

However sticky is right, you need to see your gp about this so it can be checked out.
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Janet I have OA of the neck and have bad headaches ..but I dont have dizzy spells...like SW says I would check with your GP...xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    Thank you for replying one and all. I'm pretty sure it is my neck that is causing the dizzy spells.

Two questions:-

Suzygirl - I've not heard of muscle relaxers, so can you tell me what they are please, ie brand name in case I ask my doctor for them.

Barbara - What helps your headaches? If anything, of course.

Have a good weekend.

Janet xx
  • barbara12
    barbara12 Member Posts: 21,280
    Janet I take that many meds at the min , my GP says the headaches could be made worse by them...especially the cocodamols...so its swings and roundabouts.
    The one thing that help my neck are my wonderful wheat cushions that you warm in the microwave...they are bliss..and it means I can exercise the neck without much pain..
    Hope this helps if only a little xx
    Love
    Barbara
  • knuckleduster
    Thank you for the advice about the wheat bag Barbara. Have got mine heating up in the microwave as I speak (or rather type). My osteopath and I had been keeping the headaches to a minimum, but last Friday I got stuck trying on a top, couldn't get the thing up or down. In the end my hubby had to peel it off me and that's when my neck got stuck again.

Janet xx
  • suzygirl
    suzygirl Member Posts: 2,005
    The muscle relaxers I use are Robaxin (methocarbomol). They help relax the muscles when in spasm. My neck muscles really tighten and spasm, so they are a great help.

I also use a hot water bottle and the forehead stick for migraines as that eases the muscles. Good pillows for support also.

Hope you get some relief soon.
  • constable
    constable Member Posts: 2,115
    Hi, just wondering how you are getting on. I am rather late on this one but I have neck problems. And I too get the spasms and tightening of the muscles there. Get terrible headaches but I have never been dissy but when I put my head down I have the sensation you get when you've just had pins and needles running down to my feet.

So, let us know how you are getting on and whether you did contact your doctor.
    Karen xx